Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: I want a laptop, suggest something :)

1. Quote Originally Posted by 007bond
    Looks pretty nice but I would caution that the battery life is likely not too great and the graphics card is no good for heavy gaming.
    I'm really not familiar with Radeon at all.
    If you were to compare the ATI Mobility Radeon® 9000 IGP to a GeForce card, what kind of Geforce would that be close to it?

2. Quote Originally Posted by AstroBlue
    I went to the Apple Store... PowerBook + Adobe CS + MS Office = $AU7000
    I bought the student edition of Office, that was damn cheap, but... people pay money for Adobe software?

3. I've been looking into getting a Powerbook for college too, but I'm a little hesitant to plunk down all that dough for one when I absolutely KNOW they will release the G5 Laptops sometime this year.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Geen
    I'm really not familiar with Radeon at all.
    If you were to compare the ATI Mobility Radeon® 9000 IGP to a GeForce card, what kind of Geforce would that be close to it?
    After a quick search it looks comparable to a GeForce4 440 Go 64MB card. However, since I believe that ATI one uses shared memory (with the laptop's RAM) it may be a bit slower than that.

5. well.. the ibooks, use and radeon 9200 video card, and its not shared.. if that helps..

and yeah? they are coming out with G5 laptops soon? so will thet drop the price for the G4's?

and do you have idea when this will be relased?
    You can never be one of the dead, because something that has no existence can have no community.

Frontiers

6. I figure it won't be out incredibly soon or word would have popped up somewhere, and they'd save it for one of those dandy Expos to unveil it at. Mike is always the one up with Apple goodness, and I'm clearly way behind but I thought the G5 was still too hot to run in a laptop if it requires so much cooling to turn the tower into a mesh window to provide stable temperatures...

7. There will be another speed/feature bump on the current G4 Powerbooks before we see a G5 laptop. May even be the next MacWorld. The iMac G5 seems to be showing stability enough for a G5 Powerbook, but they have to come up with a cooling solution for thin 'books.

Quote Originally Posted by Grave
    people pay money for Adobe software?
    If you make money off of things you create with Adobe software, you're a shithead for not buying it.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Grave
    I bought the student edition of Office, that was damn cheap, but... people pay money for Adobe software?
    Functionally, some academic editions and warez leave digital watermarks (some on the work and some in the actual header info), you do some freelance work and somebody finds that watermark, you're gonna be wishing you paid that $1000+

Morally, what Mike said.

Price bitching aside, I'm still totally getting a PowerBook.
    Quick zephyrs blow, vexing daft Jim.