Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Book to Movie

1. Book to Movie

Sure, most of them suck. But there is the rare chance That they will turn out great. Some of the greatest movies where first books. One Flew Over the Cukko's Nest, Lord of the Rings and my personal favorite Fight Club. What do you think about books to movies. Or, alternatively, what books have you read lately that you think would be great as a movie.

While we are on the subject of Chuck Palahniuk (the guy who wrote Fight Club), pretty much every book he writes now is a prospect to be turned into a movie (and the way he writes they are perfect). My favorite book by him is actually his second though, Survivor, which will hopefully be turned into a movie soon. But the question is, who will play the part? The female role, Fertility, is actually in battle between Madonna and Nicole Kiddman. The character is kind of similar to Marla Singer (very sexual and frank) and Maddonna would be perfect for the part. However, I hate Nicole Kiddman and she would way wrong. As for the main character in the story, Tender, I think I have the perfect character. I always try and put actors in the place of a book when I read it to help me picture them. For this one I picked Luke Wilson (Bottle Rocket, The Royal Tennenbaums). The guy is in his late 20's, used to be in an amish-like cult, and becomes this steroid popping spiritual leader. Out of total coincidence, however, he also happens to have a twin brother. And his real brother, Owen Wilson, would be perfect for the part. I cnat really describe his character w/o giving away the novel, but it would be good.

Other interesting characters to cast are the scheming agent and tenders social worker.
    your mom

2. ... neither Madonna nor Nicole Kidman appeal strike me as good actresses to play Fertility Hollis... if i had any pick... i'd just use Helena Bohnam Carter again... since i think she fits the role of Fertility even better than she did Marla...

... i also think that Survivor is Palahniuk's best work... although both Fight Club and Invisible Monsters are fantastic... (i really need to read Choke, but i'm waiting till it's out on Paperback), although i got really mixed up while reading Invisible Monsters, which could have been one of the reasons i didn't enjoy it as much as Fight Club or Survivor...

... i also wonder how Survivor will fare without David Fincher... he did an absolutely incredible job with Fight Club, and i doubt any director could top it...

3. I just read choke earlier this year. Fucked up. And good. That would be one screwed up movie. If it was unchanged from the book no way it would get an R. Such a messed up book but I liked it. And I do like the idea behind the name of the book. I'll make a hero out of you. Oh and I'm reading Invisible Monsters now. Great so far.

Oh and I'd want to see RIM turned into a movie. THAT would be some funny shit.

Later all...

Yup, I'm pretty sure it's impossible to make a movie based on a book better than the book. After all, Fight Club is a great movie but the worst part about it was the ending, but there are just some things you can't put into film and make it work, and Fight Club (the book)'s ending was one of them.

I kind of liked Jurassic Park's transistion. Why? Because even though the book and the movie are so different it's not even funny, they both turned out pretty damn good for being totally different.

5. Originally posted by Rick

I kind of liked Jurassic Park's transistion. Why? Because even though the book and the movie are so different it's not even funny, they both turned out pretty damn good for being totally different.
    agreed

I want to read American Psycho. Heard its more fucked up than the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex Ranza View Post
    Halverson had me totally convinced of Cybermorph's greatness, I'll tell you that much.

Then I got a Jag, took it home, and something seemed... not right.

6. number one on my list of books that i want to see in movie form is...

dragonlance: chronicles trilogy

make it like lord of the rings, and it would be dopeness.

books that i thought were made into good movies are...

interview with the vampire
    count of monte cristo (the latest one, i haven't seen the others)
    the shining
    one flew over cuckoo's nest
    fight club
    lord of the rings

7. Originally posted by Klonoa

agreed

I want to read American Psycho. Heard its more fucked up than the movie.
    Indeed. The book is excellent. It's very dificult at times, because of how it goes on and on about what each person is wearing/eating/drinking/fucking/ etc. But it's worth it. It has shit that would make Jeff Dahmer wince. And it's also extemely funny at times.

Go get it now. 20 bucks at Borders.

8. The best book to movie translation EVER is The Godfather. The book is really nothing special. But the movie...oh god, the movie.

And I hate to say it, 'cause I did like it, but Fight Club has to be the most overrated movie of all time. Hey, let's make a pop culture, mass market movie that's against pop culture and mass marketing!

9. and my personal favorite Fight Club.
    Me too.

I read Choke last summer, and I can't say that I enjoyed it that much (I started reading it a few days after I finished reading Fight Club). When I was reading it, I tried to picture what it would look like as a movie, and pretty tough time doing so.

I could see how doing all those childhood flash backs could get annoying (I did not like these parts of the book at all).

10. number one on my list of books that i want to see in movie form is...

dragonlance: chronicles trilogy

make it like lord of the rings, and it would be dopeness.
    SAME GOES FOR THE WHEEL OF TIME!!!

Heath Ledger as Rand
    Ben Affleck as Matt (though he may be getting too old at this point)
    SEAN M'FUKKEN CONNERY as Thom Merrillin
    Mel Gibson as... goddammit I blanked on the dude's name, the Warder Nynaeve marries

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids