Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "...the rock stars of game development"

1. "...the rock stars of game development"

From the press release about the Allard's speech at the GDC on the new Xbox-

In the HD Era the platform is bigger than the processor," Allard said. "New technology and emerging consumer forces will come together to enable the rock stars of game development to shake up the old establishment and redefine entertainment as we know it."
    Aside from it obviously being a steaming pile of marketing bullshit, the bit that stands out for me is the "rock stars of game development" bit. Let me count them-

1) Itagaki

And only because he's eccentric enough to make the rock star imagery work.

Rock stars perform live in front of thousands of people, take more drugs in a day than most of us will see in our lives, bang groupies incessantly, and in general live wild hedonistic lifestyles. Or at least the imagery of their name says they do.

Developers get to work early, code/design all day, go home, and once a year endure E3 as best they can. Anyone want to attend an event where you get to see a developer debug code? Wooooo!!!!! *throws horns*

Just felt a need to rant for a bit...

James

2. Quote Originally Posted by James
    1) Itagaki

And only because he's eccentric enough to make the rock star imagery work.
    Not really.

Quote Originally Posted by James
    *throws horns*
    You don't throw the horns, you throw UP the horns, get with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

3. That makes it sound like I'm vomiting.

Itagaki wears all black plus shades, says eccentric things, and pulls swords on reporters. I'm going to let him have the title.

James

4. Quote Originally Posted by James
    That makes it sound like I'm vomiting.

Itagaki wears all black plus shades, says eccentric things, and pulls swords on reporters. I'm going to let him have the title.

James
    Does he do it in a drunken stupor with hookers peaking out of his dressing room in curiousity? Because if no, he shouldn't get it. Although, for a game developer, he's probably the best they're going to give us.

Quote Originally Posted by James
    That's half the fun of concerts
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 13 Mar 2005 at 09:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

5. Quote Originally Posted by James
    And really, what's more metal than that?

6. Quote Originally Posted by sethsez
    And really, what's more metal than that?
    Burning churches and eating your dead friend's brains.
    Time for a change

7. I'm not metal, I haven't vomited in over 20 years.

James

Itagaki sucks almost as much as this thread.

9. This reminds me of PC Gamer's "Next Game Gods" list. http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=570 What a load of asscock that was.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi
    Itagaki sucks almost as much as this thread.
    Agreed. His Guitar Wolf act is wearing thin. Its like he can't accept the fact that game designers are still considered geeks. Big deal.