Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GCN: Phantasy Star - Card Battle

1. GCN: Phantasy Star - Card Battle

I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet:

------------------------------------
    E3 2002: Nintendo announces Phantasy Star card battle game

A card battle game set in the Phantasy Star universe is in development for the GameCube.

At its developer roundtable interview held at E3 today, Nintendo announced that Sega is developing a card battle game set in the Phantasy Star universe. A brief video clip was shown of the game, and it appears that players will collect cards that represent particular attacks and will then play them in the game's turn-based combat sequences. The idea for the game sprung from Nintendo's idea to develop a portable screen for the GameCube and create the ability to link four GameCubes together for portable multiplayer gameplay. Yuji Naka of Sega reportedly felt that such a game would be a perfect fit with the proposed GameCube linkup feature and portability.

We'll have more on Sega's Phantasy Star card battle game for the GameCube when it becomes available.

(<a href="http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/news/0,10870,2867375,00.html">Source = Gamespot</a>)

------------------------------------

Wow, that sounds pretty cool! I hope it's as good as Card Fighter's Clash, even tho it sounds a bit different.

The portable screen/link thingy for Gamecube sounds cool too.

2. I'm SUCH a sucker for games like this, it's not even funny.

If it was a Card Style game made by Sega, I'd be excited.

But the fact that it's a Card Battle game based on Phantasy Star!?

*dead*

If this is half the game Card Fighters Clash was, I'll be hooked on it for months...

3. If I didn't know better I'd say Sega was trying real hard to reestablish the Phantasy Star brand name to make a huge splash and try to unseat Final Fantasy with Phantasy Star 5...

Still, card games = *yawn* (except Cardfighters Clash, that ruled)
    -Kyo

4. Whats with all these Card battle games? The genera seems to be gettiing bigger and bigger.

5. I just read the news, this is great !!
    I love these card battle games.
    - Kabuki

6. Anybody found any pics or vids of the game yet?

Have they confirmed a domestic release?

Originally posted by StriderKyo
    If I didn't know better I'd say Sega was trying real hard to reestablish the Phantasy Star brand name to make a huge splash and try to unseat Final Fantasy with Phantasy Star 5...
    Let's hope so. I also hope that the fact that there are now 2 PS games coming to GameCube is a hint at PSV's future home...

8. Speaking of Final Fantasy, did anyone see that FFXI sold only 75,000 copies in its first week? Didn't PSO put up better numbers than that?

9. Originally posted by Deewtaei
    Speaking of Final Fantasy, did anyone see that FFXI sold only 75,000 copies in its first week? Didn't PSO put up better numbers than that?
    I think PSO did 100,000+ initially. Not sure though.
    But remember, FFXI requires buying some extra hardware, PSO didn't.
    - Kabuki

10. True, but I've heard nothing but bad press concerning FFXI. Everything from Square not having their asses in gear (as far as the network is concerned) to the game barely reflecting any of the past installments. And after reading some impressions from a few sources, the battle engine sounds rather bland as well. I honestly believe the game will have a really hard time attaching itself to the public, wherever the location.