Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 'More Friends' Final Fantasy concert and The Black Mages coming to Los Angeles.

1. Quote Originally Posted by IronPlant
    corny, lame, = descriptive words for your feelings on quality of the compasition

amateurish = descriptive word that could be describing the quality of the song, or the muscian ship of those who play or wrote it
    Yea. The composition is corny and lame and shitty. Not bad for a geeky videogame RPG, I suppose, but it doesnt deserve to be played by a world-class orchestra like the Los Angeles Philharmonic. Its all horribly contrived and stilted, not even up to par with a midrange movie soundtrack (and orchestras dont play movie soundtracks so why this? Because stupid nerds on RPGamer.com think its the best shit ever).

As for "amateurish", I was describing the composition, too. I obviously am not describing the musicianship of anyone who is playing it, since we're talking about many songs that were first played on weakass 16-bit sound chips.

Is that clear enough for you? Im really not trying to be a douche here, I think Uematsu was doing just fine for what he is, which is a mediocre composer who did good work on the 8-bit systems. He wouldnt be a bad movie composer either, churning out the type of soundtracks that get all sad when the characters are emotional and uplifting at the end and what not (basically like a really bland, featureless John Williams). But then this whole fucking mystique of Uematsu came into play, he became worshipped by the Japanophile nerddom as some sort of ubercomposer, Square put more and more pressure on him to churn out work, and he got really sloppy and awful, culminating in the horror that was the FF7 soundtrack. Its annoying, and Im fairly certain he knows what happened.
    Last edited by diffusionx; 20 Mar 2005 at 04:15 AM.

2. and orchestras dont play movie soundtracks
    http://www.theforce.net/cons/story/G...n_LA_89662.asp

Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    Yea. The composition is corny and lame and shitty. Not bad for a geeky videogame RPG, I suppose, but it doesnt deserve to be played by a world-class orchestra like the Los Angeles Philharmonic. Its all horribly contrived and stilted, not even up to par with a midrange movie soundtrack (and orchestras dont play movie soundtracks so why this? Because stupid nerds on RPGamer.com think its the best shit ever).

As for "amateurish", I was describing the composition, too. I obviously am not describing the musicianship of anyone who is playing it, since we're talking about many songs that were first played on weakass 16-bit sound chips.

Is that clear enough for you?
    by what authority do you get to judge it as lame, corny, and shitty? Who are you to say what is good enough to be played by an orchestra?

When did Apollo die and make you the new god of music?

4. I actually agree with Diff here. For every good song in the Final Fantasy games (and I use "good" loosely here), there are ten that are just mindless filler. And even then, the "good" songs are just hollow imitations of far better classical music.

With that said, I don't really care. It brings in money that the theater can always use, and Final Fantasy music, while trite compared to the vast majority of classical music out there, is still much better than shit like Hoobastank or whatever.

Basically, when the music is taken on its own, it's nowhere near as good as the Japanophiles claim it is, but it's not as bad as the reactionaries claim either. It's middle-of-the-road, pleasant but inconsequencial music that'll make the theater a small fortune.

5. Quote Originally Posted by IronPlant
    by what authority do you get to judge it as lame, corny, and shitty? Who are you to say what is good enough to be played by an orchestra?
    By what authority do you get to judge Therion as good, or Buena Vista Social Club as awesome, or whatever? Get over yourself.

By what authority do you get to judge Therion as good, or Buena Vista Social Club as awesome, or whatever? Get over yourself.
    I say what I have to say in a way that makes it obvious that I'm talking about my feelings and opinions. And if I do say something in a way that seems like I am conveying a fact it is usually so fucking absurd it is more than obvious that it is a joke and not to be taken seriously.

You state what you think like it is a fact. You often even go as far to insult and degrade those who do not adhere to your "facts."

I don’t know if you do this to troll or what, but sometimes it really seems like you are unable to talk about your opinions in a way that lets others know they are opinions.
    Last edited by Fe 26; 20 Mar 2005 at 04:44 AM.

7. When does he ever say shit that isn't his opinion? He never said "this is fact". You want "IMO" after every sentence to make him seem less threatening to you or something? Shit, calm down for a bit man.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Thief~Silver
    Black mages use vocals in what song?
    Otherworld sucks and the chick was not necessary... neither was the guy, for that matter, but oh well. And can you defend The Skies Above? It's one of the most hilarious things I've ever heard, but it's not a good song in any stretch of the imagination.

People like Square's shitty, amateurish attempts at classical-style music because theyre ignorant, buffoonish Japanophiles, and no more. The fact that people waste money to listen to a symphony conduct this trash breaks my heart, especially since its in LA! UCLA Live has so many amazing performers putting on amazing works here its not even funny, and it gets ignored in favor of this.
    IBTN. Banana-chans fucking suck. I should know. I used to be one before I saw the light.

Final Fantasy has some great music. I wouldn't pay to see a concert but I see nothing wrong with it.
    Last edited by NeoZeedeater; 20 Mar 2005 at 01:34 PM.