Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 1234616 ... LastLast

Thread: Soul Calibur III

1. Because they picked the least powerful of 3 systems for what is usually a BEAUTIFUL game. ANd really seeing as how they make everything else on the Xbox.. why would they make this ps2 exclusive?

2. Lowest Common Denominator, come on, we've seen this happen before, this shouldn't be a shock.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Thief~Silver
    Because they picked the least powerful of 3 systems for what is usually a BEAUTIFUL game. ANd really seeing as how they make everything else on the Xbox.. why would they make this ps2 exclusive?

I'm pretty sure there are more PS2 owners than GC and XBOX, so I'm guessing they figure that they will probably make more money back from sales releasing it this way. Then later down the line it will come out on the other systems as port overs.
    Dont be a robot, be human.
    PSN: Di3heart

4. Then later down the line it will come out on the other systems as port overs.
    Generally exclusive means that it's only avaliable for that system. But I guess I wouldn't be surprised if that word goes under and it gets ported to the Xbox.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Zerohero
    SC II was IMO nothing more than SC with new characters and yet people still dished out the cash. [...] Tekken 5 came back and saved the series after a sorry Tekken 4 and now everyone's on Namco's Balls... bah.
    But you seem to miss the why. First off, as a general rule every fighting game is the previous game with more characters added, that means nothing. What you seem to be missing is that SCII had much worse balance than SC (and dicked around needlessly with some characters, screwing them up) while Tekken 5 removed a lot of the stuff from Tekken 4 that made it bad.

Just because people buy it doesn't make it a better game, take a look at the SCII thread here to check out the reactions. They get worse as the days go on and as people get used to the game.

Anyway, Create-A-Fighter could be really cool (Project Justice!) but PS2 exclusivity makes me laugh at them.

6. I'm digging the idea behind creating your own fighter, but PS2-only? Ugh. I'll wait for SC III+1 on the Xbox, hopefully with Live.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

7. I'm a PS2 fanboy, but damn, I don't like this news. This game should be on a system that can really make it look good, and it should be online playable.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

8. Quote Originally Posted by shidoshi
    I'm a PS2 fanboy, but damn, I don't like this news. This game should be on a system that can really make it look good, and it should be online playable.
    Shidoshi has bingo. (Well, except for the PS2 part -- I don't give a damn about that.)

This is really bittersweet news for me. I was a huge fan of Soul Calibur and its sequal, and played it tons with top players from all around. It's also one of the best looking (and animated!) games of this generation, with easily the best character designs of any 3D fighter. So you think a sequal would be an automatic buy for me. But on the PS2? Ugh. There goes my hope for online play. Namco is better than most with the PS2 though; and if Tekken 5 is any indication it will probably a small incremental upgrade. Let's be honest -- moving to the Xbox would not be a massive win for them visually. The big win there would be with online support, which they have no intention of supporting. Boo!

The character edit feature will be like what they have in Tekken 5 and Virtua Fighter 4, nothing more. Hopefully it's closer to what VF4:FT does than what Tekken 5 does -- T5's customizations are so limited.

Then again, this is Gamepro reporting this... (at least it isn't Spong)

Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus
    What you seem to be missing is that SCII had much worse balance than SC (and dicked around needlessly with some characters, screwing them up) while Tekken 5 removed a lot of the stuff from Tekken 4 that made it bad.
    The balance in SC2 wasn't significantly worse than it was in SC1. X is a hobag, but she was just as bad in 1 -- and top players could deal with her in either game regardless. The real problem with SC2 was that the game systems were absolutely broken -- GIs and guard crushes were completely useless due to 2G bugs, sidestep cancelling made 95% of the moves whiff, step-guard promoted rampant amounts of turtling, and there's more that I'm forgetting, heh. SC1 had it's share of bullshit, though -- SC1 had step cancelling too (done with a different command), and it also had false stepping (where you could make a lot of moves whiff without moving), and some move-specific glitches (Cervantes 214+B could be done with no startup, Sophie's 8+A+B was unblockable with no charge, Kilik could parry attacks with G~214 after blocking them, Astaroth had an unparryable throw, etc.)

I just hope they can get this right? If they can make the same jump they made with Tekken 5 with Soul Calibur 3, I'll be satisifed.

-Dippy

9. Other than online play I see no reason to moan over being PS2 exclusive.

10. Rats. I was hoping SCIII would be a System 258 title.

If they use 258, they could really go all out- if Tekken 5 ended up arcade-perfect on PS2, then I'm sure there's a lot of room for Namco to push 258 further.

A perfect PS2 port of SCIII may well be out of the question if this were done, but Namco then could go Tekken Tag on a PS3 SCIII.