Page 2 of 73 FirstFirst 1234616 ... LastLast

Thread: Superman Returns

1. Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus
    Jetman: All I'm getting for your pics is a KryptonSite logo, I don't think they like linking.
    Those bastards.Alright, crappy pics of Lois and Clark are up for proof of my opinion.

Another plot point that I heard back in the day was that Doomsday was supposed to be in this, anyone hear anything solid on other villians beside Luthor?

2. I thought the old Superman movies were a bit cheesy myself.

Dean Cain and Hatcher did a great job in Lois and Clark. Sure, they had a bit of fun with the goofy side of things, but the show was entertaining.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

3. Wow, I feel like I'm in the twilight zone here. Did a lot of you guys really like Lois and Clark? I watch Smallville currently, but the acting,writing(well, the first two seasons at least),and special effects, are a hell of a lot better than the shit that was in Lois and Clark.

To you guys who watch Lois and Clark, do you like Will and Grace, Friends,Charmed, or the Shadowman tv show?Just curious. If you answered 'yes' to the above shows then I cant take your opinion on anything in Cinemania seriously anymore.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Jetman
    Wow, I feel like I'm in the twilight zone here. Did a lot of you guys really like Lois and Clark? I watch Smallville currently, but the acting,writing(well, the first two seasons at least),and special effects, are a hell of a lot better than the shit that was in Lois and Clark.

To you guys who watch Lois and Clark, do you like Will and Grace, Friends,Charmed, or the Shadowman tv show?Just curious. If you answered 'yes' to the above shows then I cant take your opinion on anything in Cinemania seriously anymore.

UGH I hate smallville it's one of the worst things to come out superman wise too

fucking luthor was never in smallville UGH GAH I hate that show HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE it

it's like Superman's Creek

At least Lois and Clark tried to get the characters accurate and like the Comic book characters with a limited budget and for the most part they were right sure there were some cheesey parts but Teri Hatcher really took to the role of Lois

Will and Grace sucks major ass
    Friends Had a moment here and there that were good
    Charmed I've never watched and have no interest in ever watching
    and what the hell is the shadowman tv show never even heard of it
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv
    UGH I hate smallville it's one of the worst things to come out superman wise too

fucking luthor was never in smallville UGH GAH I hate that show HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE it

At least Lois and Clark tried to get the characters accurate and like the Comic book characters with a limited budget and for the most part they were right sure there were some cheesey parts but Teri Hatcher really took to the role of Lois
    You know, I thought you were crazy when you started hatin' on the Superman movies but I can say without a doubt that you're pretty much certifiable

BTW the Lois and Clark stuff was ok at the time but by today's standards it's a crappy show, just good for some laughs. Even Smallville kills it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechdeus
    That cast looks pretty good overall and I agree that Spacey is perfect. But what I really want to see is how they're handling the Superman outfit and how it's going to look.
    That's pretty much what everyone's waiting for. I think Brandon will have the same build as Reeve when he was in the Superman suit but just slightly shorter.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv

The Luthor thing is a bit weird at first. Admittedly, I didnt watch Smallville at first because of that alone - thought it was just a retarded idea. But, the more episodes I watched the more I realized how well it was played off, and how we get to see a time in Clark's life when he was growing and learning, and a time when Lex wasnt always an evil guy.Sounds like you havent watched and given it a chance....and the characters ARE pretty accurate in Smallville with the exception of Lex --for now...(which we never knew his past in the comics in the first place so honestly anything could go). And there werent JUST cheesy parts in Lois and Clark - the whole damn thing was a ridiculous mockery and cheese fest.

Quote Originally Posted by Shin johnpv
    Will and Grace sucks major ass
    Friends Had a moment here and there that were good
    Charmed I've never watched and have no interest in ever watching
    and what the hell is the shadowman tv show never even heard of it
    Ok, well you pass the good taste litmus, we just need to get you watching Smallville now

And to keep from derailing Will's thread and making it a L&C or Smallville thing
    heres an odd bit of info on who is playing Jor-El in Superman Returns:

from Dark Horizons:
    Jor-El for the new "Superman Returns" has been cast, and its not Patrick Stewart or Anthony Hopkins as earlier rumoured but rather...Marlon Brando.

Yep, that's right. Much like Laurence Olivier's brief resurrection in "Sky Captain" last year, the late Marlon Brando will be appearing as Jor-El in "Superman Returns" which just began shooting here in Australia. As far as we can tell Brando will not be CGI, but rather Singer plans to use stock footage of Marlon Brando that was originally shot by "Superman" director Richard Donner for the first two films.

So much of Brando's work from the second one was left on the cutting room floor due to legal reasons that it's certainly possible they could be resurrected, the question is is the material of good enough quality to be usable.

This also gels with talk of Singer using items that are familiar to the first two films such as the design of the Fortress of Solitude and of Krypton. He has also mentioned that he will use part of the famous John Williams score.
    Its almost weird that Singer is going to such lengths to try and tie Superman Returns to the older movies.Does he just think that it wouldnt survive a retelling or lack of reference to the originals? That to me almost hints bad script/bad writing like he has to stand on someone elses shoulders to make his project work.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Jetman
    And to keep from derailing Will's thread and making it a L&C or Smallville thing
    heres an odd bit of info on who is playing Jor-El in Superman Returns:

from Dark Horizons:

Its almost weird that Singer is going to such lengths to try and tie Superman Returns to the older movies.Does he just think that it wouldnt survive a retelling or lack of reference to the originals? That to me almost hints bad script/bad writing like he has to stand on someone elses shoulders to make his project work.
    That's one of the few things that I don't like about the movie so far. I'd rather that they either get some other older actor who has a similar profile to Brando or just get a younger looking Jor-El and explain his younger look as Superman's father in his prime during his younger years. It all really depends on the execution and this is one of the trickiest, boldest moves I've heard Bryan do.

He indeed seems so in love with the older movies that he can't let go of the Donner stuff to put in his own which is a bit annoying as I had hoped that the movie would be a restart (especially with Batman doing it) but Bryan thinks that the first film did his origin so well that there would be no need to redo them but I feel "eh" on that.

The guy who played young Clark in the first movie looked too seedy and evil for me. He had something going on with his nose and hair that just came off as weird. Anyway some sequences could be redone to be SO much better and impactful than the stuff we saw in the first such as the lame and silly looking super speed scene with the train and the leaping/running effects. I understand that at the time those effects were groundbreaking and new but with today's technology and real prop stuff it can be done much better especially by adding cooler new scenes of his powers such as a scene of young Clark flying through the clouds carefree like the cartoon.

Lois's kid also worries me. It's a big change for the character especially with that extra baggage and awkwardness that she will have with Clark/Superman when they see the kid.

I'm just hoping that they can nail this movie with the same feeling of wonder, adventure and humanity the way the first two movies did.
    Last edited by Will; 03 Apr 2005 at 05:50 AM.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Jetman
    Wow, I feel like I'm in the twilight zone here. Did a lot of you guys really like Lois and Clark? I watch Smallville currently, but the acting,writing(well, the first two seasons at least),and special effects, are a hell of a lot better than the shit that was in Lois and Clark.
    Umm... Lois and Clark is like 10 years old. They were great special effects for their time.

None of the above.

I have watched Friends with my sister before and it does seem to be genuinely funny.

that brando thing has to be a joke.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

9. Lois and Clark and the Adventures of Superboy (late 80's) > Smallville.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex Ranza View Post
    Halverson had me totally convinced of Cybermorph's greatness, I'll tell you that much.

Then I got a Jag, took it home, and something seemed... not right.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv
    fucking luthor was never in smallville
    Actually, he was if you consider the Pre-Crisis version (back when Superboy cause Luthor's hair loss).