Thread: After Burner 3D (PC) vs 3DAges After Burner II (PS2)

1. After Burner 3D (PC) vs 3DAges After Burner II (PS2)

I just bought Sega Classics Collection for Playstation2. sadly, it does not include 3D Ages After Burner II which was released in Japan last year. I hope it makes it out on a volume 2 for the U.S. - hoping there is a volume 2.

anyway,
    as the title of this thread says: After Burner 3D vs 3D Ages After Burner II -

I wanted to compare the homebrew/shareware/freeware amature After Burner 3D made for the PC to the 3DAges After Burner II for Playstation2

first, the older 3D version of After Burner

Afterburner 3D is an excellent fanmade remake of SEGA's classic first-person shooter Afterburner. The game features excellent 3D graphics, great special effects, and even a nice soundtrack to round things off. Like Afterburner, your objective is simply to pilot a jet-on-rails and fire at anything and everything that crosses your field of view. Again as in Afterburner, there is not much to do in the game: your guns fire automatically, missiles lock on as soon as your sights pass over the target, so all you have to do really is dodge enemy fire and launch the odd missile now and then. Excellent graphics and wonderful remakes of all the game's enemy jets make the experience worthwhile, though, and recalls the fun of the arcade version. All in all, Afterburner 3D is a very good, very polished remake with a strong professional feel - well worth a look for all Afterburner fans. This is a much closer remake to the original than SEGA's own effort, Sky Target 3D.

After Burner 3D (Brodaroda Software - PC - 2002)

After Burner II (3DAges~Sega - PS2 - 2004)

neither 3D version of After Burner is very good, compared to the System X powered original or even the ports released on 32X (Super After Burner) Saturn (Sega Ages), Dreamcast (Shenmue II, Yu Suzuki Game Works) and Xbox (Shenmue II)
    Last edited by gigadrive; 05 Apr 2005 at 07:39 PM.

2. First two pictures are the same, and the rest of them are boring and show very little.

3. I'd still take the arcade original...

By the way, what is the difference between After Burner and After Burner II? Why does ABII get all the re-releases and fanfare?

4. I dont see why in all these sega ages games they take something that looks alright (scaling sprites) and then make it look bland by replacing the sprites with really dull polygon work that manages to look horribly repetitive. Look at that After Burner shot with the several houses that look exactly alike. Barf.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerodash
    I'd still take the arcade original...

By the way, what is the difference between After Burner and After Burner II? Why does ABII get all the re-releases and fanfare?
    After Burner II added the speed boost, a few more levels and some other minor variations. It's not really a sequel but an enhanced version of the original.

6. Quote Originally Posted by perkyskirt
    I dont see why in all these sega ages games they take something that looks alright (scaling sprites) and then make it look bland by replacing the sprites with really dull polygon work that manages to look horribly repetitive. Look at that After Burner shot with the several houses that look exactly alike. Barf.
    I understand what you are saying, but keep in mind that the original scaling sprite version it is kinda like that too. You just don't notice it as much when you are flying very fast.

7. Quote Originally Posted by perkyskirt
    I dont see why in all these sega ages games they take something that looks alright (scaling sprites) and then make it look bland by replacing the sprites with really dull polygon work that manages to look horribly repetitive. Look at that After Burner shot with the several houses that look exactly alike. Barf.
    3D polygons looks better than cheesy scaling sprites simulating 3D polygons in nearly all instances.

8. Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    3D polygons looks better than cheesy scaling sprites simulating 3D polygons in nearly all instances.
    Yeah, but the 3D is bad for todays standards. The scaling sprite originals are more colorful and alive.