Thread: Shadow Hearts for the latecomer

1. Shadow Hearts for the latecomer

i just picked up Shadow Hearts today and from what I've played its pretty good...better than FFX already =) but im not very far and i was wonderin gif it gets a lot better as you progress?

thats about it. solid game so far

2. (Awaiting Despair's comments...)

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

3. Originally posted by Dolemite
    (Awaiting Despair's comments...)
    Yea, this guys thread fits Despairs response almost TO perfectly. I wonder if its maybe Despair in disguise! lol

Salsashark: Do a search, there was a Shadow Hearts topic with a good chunk of repies on here a couple of weeks ago I believe.

4. yeah this thread was actually written with despairs reply in mind. i know theres another thread somewhere, i suppose i should look it up. laziness and fear of spoilers kept me from doing it before.

anyway i was just playing more of the game and it really is very good, i wouldnt call it great yet but it has enough little things to give me that special feeling of a good game

5. I hear nothing but good things about this game... doesn't anybody have anything bad to say about this game?

6. Originally posted by Bystander
    I hear nothing but good things about this game... doesn't anybody have anything bad to say about this game?
    try EGM. other than that i dont know why they would!

7. Heh, I'm sure Despair will be happy that another has joined the SH ranks. His crusade is paying off....

There are a lot of RPG fans I've talked to who hated Shadow Hearts because it doesn't stick to the "typical" RPG mold: the Judgement Wheel and the non-traditional-fantasy RPG setting were major turn-offs for them. Funny, because those are both major reasons why I like the game so much (I really dig the arcane steampunkish setting).

In my eyes, Shadow Hearts is similar to Vagrant Story: too action-y for the hardcore RPG crowd, and too RPG-y for the hardcore action crowd. I usually don't like RPGs (the only ones I've played are PE, VS, half-done with Skies of Arcadia, and Shadow Hearts), but SH is a perfect example of the type of RPG that gets me interested.

I've only had the game for a couple weeks, and YES, it gets better. I'm about 1/3 of the way through, and it's very compelling. I see traces of Parasite Eve everywhere (esp. the character animations), which is cool because I loved PE, and the SH team includes people who worked on PE.

All Despair's rantings haven't conviced me to try Koudelka though..not yet anyways....that game's battle system seems more than a little trying...

Satoshi Kon: 1963-2010

8. Hmmm... I'm intrigued. I feel interest for a game that I did not expect to be interested in... what's happening to me?

9. Koudelka was quite good from what I played of it, however the continuous breaking weapons was what turned me off. Maybe I was just missing something, but every weapon has a chance of breaking during combat, and after a while I got sick of losing all my best weapons to breaking and stopped playing (Somewhere in the second disc, if I remember right).

Otherwise, quite good and interesting.

10. Well, Good to see more people enjoying Shadow Hearts. I completely agree wirh Bio words on that that SH is different from the usual rpg. I'm not going to repeat my praises of this game in this thread, since we heard those quite a few times already , and just will say that you made a good choice

If you will have any questions about the game, feel free to post them here, and me or Ashen Victor or few others will glad to help

As for Koudelka, I thought the idea of breakable weapons was interesting, since it did add a strategic element to gameplay, plus as the game progresses your magic level can be raise high enough to only use the magic during battle and use weapons only for stat raising. I had 2 of people pammel enemies with spell, and one being a physical fighter and it worked out great.