Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Access Software Megathread

Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater
    UAKM blew me away technology-wise but I only played the demo back then and decided I wasn't interested. I definitely plan on giving it another chance though.
    Since this thread was originally made I did buy it and give it another chance. I would encourage others who missed out to do so too as it's one of the best in genre.

2. When I first got a PC, I was in 4th grade, and it ran at a whole 12 mhz, and it came bundled with Links: The Challenge of Golf on the HD. When other games only had blips and bleeps coming from the PC speaker, I wondered why since "Links has birds chirping adn people talking!" It took a good 30 seconds to redraw the graphics every shot, so a full hole took FOREVER to play, but I played it a lot. A couple years later I was in Toy Works and was going through their bargin PC game bin and picked up Mean Streets and Crime Wave for $1.99 each. I never could get Crime Wave to work, but Mean Streets I played a ton and I loved it. I never finished it though because I started playing Sega CD and SNES and my 286 really started showing its age, so my PC gaming started to slow down to almost non-existance... .when I finally got another computer, it was a P-90, and the games no longer worked on my PC Never played any other Tex game, I knew of Under a Killing Moon and the one after, but didn't know of the others.
    Check out my blog: ExHardcoreGamer.com

3. Under a Killing Moon and Pandora Directive have aged very gracefully. They're well worth playing today (though you need to use DOSBox if you use XP, so you need a decent CPU). It's a shame so few here have tried them. They're up there with the likes of Sam and Max and Monkey Island.

4. I do not have a decent CPU, so DOSBox is out of the question
    Check out my blog: ExHardcoreGamer.com

5. i think crimewave and mean streets can be had on the-underdogs.org

though i question the legality. i assume much of that stuff is long forgotten about anyhow.

6. Quote Originally Posted by amitavc
    i think crimewave and mean streets can be had on the-underdogs.org

though i question the legality. i assume much of that stuff is long forgotten about anyhow.
    It's completely illegal, but no one really cares.

They also have Martian Memorandum there which is much better than either of those.

I just read at the digitpress forums that Bruce Carver died of cancer recently.

8. Nice thread. I always wondered what happened to Access. Depressing how it ended up.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Brisco Bold
    Nice thread. I always wondered what happened to Access. Depressing how it ended up.
    Less depressing of late. I interviewed Aaron conners as part of a piece I was doing on Adventure gaming, and he was a lot more positive than some of the past interviews I've seen. It was a good read, check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater
    I just read at the digitpress forums that Bruce Carver died of cancer recently.
    That's a shame. Do you have any more info on this? How old was he?

Also, is it suddenly inappropriate of me to be lampooning his worst game in my sig?

Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda
    That's a shame. Do you have any more info on this? How old was he?
    He was 57 and found out about having cancer only a few days before he died. I don't think any gaming news sites have mentioned it yet but I see no reason to doubt the guy who posted about it.