Page 1 of 12 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Original Story in a Game

1. Best Original Story in a Game

In my opinion, Mafia has one of the best told stories in video games. I like how the story is told in the past as a confession to a cop. I like how they rationalize how people got involved with crime and trust becomes compromised. I like how they added to the story by placing Easter eggs all throughout the city (i.e. Poponi alive in the bank talking to someone about a loan, if you wait to kill the councilman until after his speech he explains his side of the story).

Aside from the story, this game shines as a masterpiece by the design of the city itself: the blend of thick urban skyscrapers and low rising suburban sprawl, the serene journeys out to the country; the way the city’s look changes from the sunny midday missions to the hazy night missions; and last, that amazing view of the city’s skyline in the setting sun while passing by on a paddle boat during the councilman assassination mission, and knowing that that view is not a scroll but actual polygons that you just drove through moments ago!

I know they were more games in the past that also really caught me, but as far as new games this is my favorite.

Here is the original thread if you want to go back and see what you though a couple of years ago.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

LOL Guest
    Mortal Kombat

I was waiting for that from you.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

4. Quote Originally Posted by omfgninjas
    Mortal Kombat
    In my opinion, Mortal Kombat has one of the best told stories in video games. I like how the story is told in the past as a confession to a Liu Kang. I like how they rationalize how people got involved with kombat and trust becomes compromised. I like how they added to the story by placing Easter eggs all throughout the stages (i.e. Sub Zero alive in the bank talking to someone about a loan, if you wait to kill Jax until after his speech he explains his metal arms).

Aside from the story (even though this is a story thread ^_^), this game shines as a masterpiece by the design of Baraka itself: the blend of Pits and low rising Temple sprawl, the serene journeys out to the Haunted Forest; the way Shang Tsung’s look changes from the sunny midday missions to the hazy night test your might; and last, that amazing view of the guy who says "Toasty!" in the setting sun while passing by on a paddle boat during the Kurtis Stryker assassination mission, and knowing that his awesome gun move is not a scroll but actual polygons that you just drove through moments ago!

"I can only say that there is not a man living who wishes more sincerely than I do to see a plan adopted for the abolition of slavery." - Tommy Tallarico

5. Shadow of Destiny (PC/PS2) with the "D" ending. M. Night Shyamalan, eat your heart out.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Kano on the Phone
    In my opinion, Mortal Kombat has one of the best told stories in video games. I like how the story is told in the past as a confession to a Liu Kang. I like how they rationalize how people got involved with kombat and trust becomes compromised. I like how they added to the story by placing Easter eggs all throughout the stages (i.e. Sub Zero alive in the bank talking to someone about a loan, if you wait to kill Jax until after his speech he explains his metal arms).

Aside from the story (even though this is a story thread ^_^), this game shines as a masterpiece by the design of Baraka itself: the blend of Pits and low rising Temple sprawl, the serene journeys out to the Haunted Forest; the way Shang Tsung’s look changes from the sunny midday missions to the hazy night test your might; and last, that amazing view of the guy who says "Toasty!" in the setting sun while passing by on a paddle boat during the Kurtis Stryker assassination mission, and knowing that his awesome gun move is not a scroll but actual polygons that you just drove through moments ago!
    Screw you guys I'm going home.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

7. Legacy of Kain.

There are some other great ones but LoK is just too far up there. It's definately got a step up on other games because they actually do direct continuation from one game to the next with the same characters, so they've had years to evolve and develop. It also helps a lot that it's made by people whose native language is English and don't suck at it and is voiced by people that fit their roles and can act. That goes a damned long way in conveying character.

8. In my opinion, Super Metroid has one of the best told stories in video games. I like how the story is told in the past as a confession to Mother Brain. I like how they rationalize how people got involved with the special metroid and trust becomes compromised. I like how they added to the story by placing Easter eggs all throughout the stages (i.e. Torizo alive in the bank talking to someone about a loan, if you wait to kill Crocomire until after his speech he explains his weakness to lava).

Aside from the story, this game shines as a masterpiece by the design of Samus Aran's hot ass itself: the blend of thick Crateria and low rising Wrecked Ship sprawl, the serene journeys out to the Brinstar; the way the tube explodes when you put grenade in it; and last, that amazing view of Draygon who gets electrocuted in the setting sun while passing by on a paddle boat during the Maridia mission, and knowing that his awesome Spring Ball move is not a scroll but actual glorious 2D that you just drove through moments ago!

9. Katamari Damacy.

(stuff about confessions to a big sticky ball go here)

10. Planescape: Torment

... now close the thread.