Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you collect gaming guides in addition to your games?

1. Do you collect gaming guides in addition to your games?

There was a time, when I would never buy a gaming guide. Then years later, I kicked myself for missing out on some great collectable gaming guides. I had passed on buying the official guide to Final Fantasy 2, in the U.S., and later regetted it. It was all about beating the game yourself, and no self respecting gamer would stoop so low, but there is quite a bit of collectability to these gaming guides. Additional game art, background stories to the characters, and hidden secrets that many gamers miss out on.

What gaming guides do you have, that you feel are very collectable?

Here are a few that I consider must have collectable gaming guides, that I own:

Dragon Force
    Chrono Trigger
    Final Fantasy 3
    Official Sega Jet Grind Radio guide
    Ogre Battle 64
    Dark Stalkers 3
    Night Warriors
    Street Fighter 3
    Super Mario RPG
    Phantasy Star 3
    Phantasy Star 2
    Saga Frontier
    Beyond the Beyond
    Capcom VS SNK Millennium Fight 2000
    Marcel VS. Capcom 2
    Game Informer Special Edition: Final Fantasy Companion
    Final Fantasy (NES)
    MegaFan Vol.1 issue 3: Special Capcom Issue
    Paper Mario

These are the best of my 50+gaming guides collection. I had seen the Official Space Channel 5 guide several months back, and did'nt have the cash on me to buy it at the time. I returned 2 weeks later, to find the guide gone. It would have been a great addition to my gaming guide collection. Does anyone else here, collect gaming guides?

2. No; enough of my money goes into gaming as it is - that's what the internet's for. It might help if fighting game guides weren't so wretched, though. Who needs to see an entire page wasted showing you what the character's normal punches and kicks look like? What cromagnon can't figure that out for themselves?
    -Kyo

3. Re: Do you collect gaming guides in addition to your games?

Originally posted by gamevet
    Dark Stalkers 3
    Night Warriors
    Street Fighter 3
    Saga Frontier
    I have these...but I think I may have misplaced my SaGa Frontier guide. Plus:

The Street Fighter Alpha "Bible." (Versus Books first guide)
    The Mis-adventures of Tron Bonne (I LOVE this game! One of the best MM spin-offs evar!)
    Street Fighter Alpha 3

And several others. Lemme go looky through my collection and I'll get back to you with more.

So, to answer your question: Yes. I collect them. I love game guides.
    Throw fireballs at him...
    Laugh at his moustache...
    http://images.nintendo.com/nintendo/...o_gcn_game.jpg
    But do not mess with his vacation.

4. The SF Alpha guide and the Tekken 3 arcade guide were the best ever fighting game guides.

The Tekken 3 arcade guide avtually had "strategy" as opposed to just "move lists".

5. The Metal Gear Solid guide was really good too.

And the PSO guide, while not complete, had a lot of good info on the history of Phantasy Star.

6. I have the Metal Gear Solid guide...all three of them.

Star Ocean 2
    Parasite Eve
    Xenogears

...and I'll be damned if'n I ain't headed to my local GameStop tomorrow to get the PSO guide. I had them hold it for me today.
    Throw fireballs at him...
    Laugh at his moustache...
    http://images.nintendo.com/nintendo/...o_gcn_game.jpg
    But do not mess with his vacation.

7. Originally posted by Korly
    The SF Alpha guide and the Tekken 3 arcade guide were the best ever fighting game guides.

The Tekken 3 arcade guide avtually had "strategy" as opposed to just "move lists".

Most of the Street Fighter guides have pointers to beat each individual fighter with a specific character. I have collected all the Street Fighter guides from Versus. They have exceptional character art.

8. I used to buy game guides (namely for Capcom's fighting games), but not anymore. However, I am interested in collecting old issues of Nintendo Power and Japanese game books (comics, guides, art books, ect).

Seven Force Guest
    Do the Gamest Mooks count? Not only were they cool strategy guides, they had loads of pictures and extra art too.....

I a proud to say that I have never bought a strategy guide. The only ones I have owned are the ones that came free with Nintendo Power sub back in the early 1990s.