Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12346 ... LastLast

Thread: Gunnm/Battle Angel Alita

1. Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus
    You also reminded me, I keep wondering when/if Kaos is going to pop back up after his show in LO. I figured there was going to be more with him but they seem to be getting really far away physically so if he does get seen again it probably won't be until the very end.
    Well IIRC, he's begun work on the tower from the Scrapyard to Tiphares with Vector, after spending a year in Vector's holding cell. Fat lot of good that will do them now that Tiphares was wrecked in a week with just a little secret.

It's kind of ironic, Tiphares is presented as the omnipresent figure of power both in its methods (the Tuned) and it's sheer size and bizarre architecture in the original series, but in LO it's dealt with almost immediately, almost as a chore, really. The scope of its importance, hell, even the PLANET's importance is brushed off within one meeting of LADDER That Earth is merely developmentally stunted by charters and treaties within the galactic council that prevent it from being redeveloped I'm not complaining, but I think a little more time dedicated to explaining just why everything in the Scrapyard, and even Tiphares is of limited Utility to the rest of civilization would have been nice.

But the continuity is very strong in BAA, and the way in which they deal with scope, from motives and goals, settings and plotlines. Things continually move from lower to higher relevence to the world or even Civilization in general, from the Scrapyard to the Galaxy, and Alita/Gally changes herself realistically to meet the growing importance of her conflicts (Though there are some trappings, like Alita's incessant desire to rescue Lou from Melchizadek.)
    Last edited by George; 18 Apr 2005 at 02:08 AM.

2. Quote Originally Posted by TrialSword
    (Though there are some trappings, like Alita's incessant desire to rescue Lou from Melchizadek.)
    Welllllll... go read LO5.

3. I have been a huge fan of the series for a while. I have the original clam shell VHS subbed release of the anime still. A long time ago I also wrote a FAQ (please don't read it, it is embarrassing) a long time ago for the PS1 game. Which is really quite fun. I still have it (never sold it) and may just play it again now that I found how nice PSX emulation on a good PC can look.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Shapermc
    I have the original clam shell VHS subbed release of the anime still.
    Good for you. I paid out the ass for a sealed DVD a year ago. Still worth it, but it's been out of print for so damn long.

5. Quote Originally Posted by TrialSword
    I paid out the ass for a sealed DVD a year ago.
    i'd love to get my hands on a copy, but i guess i'll have to settle with my LD release for a while longer. too bad it was only the first books in the series because this series would be even more kick ass animated.

6. Good stuff, with some beautiful artwork. The stuff I've read was pretty damn grim, however. They certainly didn't pull any punches.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

7. I LOOOOOOOOVVVVVVEEEEEEE the Alita series, a true masterpiece
    from all the CRAP that gets recommended by anime/manga fans it's a crying shame this isn't mentioned by people more often

have every Graphic Novel
    but when are the new Last Order volumes coming out?
    I have only 3 (or 4 I forget since it's been so long)
    when was the last released?
    & how far is it up in Japan? anyone know

8. Gally's my wife.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex Ranza View Post
    Halverson had me totally convinced of Cybermorph's greatness, I'll tell you that much.

Then I got a Jag, took it home, and something seemed... not right.

9. Quote Originally Posted by WTFer
    I LOOOOOOOOVVVVVVEEEEEEE the Alita series, a true masterpiece
    from all the CRAP that gets recommended by anime/manga fans it's a crying shame this isn't mentioned by people more often

have every Graphic Novel
    but when are the new Last Order volumes coming out?
    I have only 3 (or 4 I forget since it's been so long)
    when was the last released?
    & how far is it up in Japan? anyone know
    I think they're up to 7 over in Japan, and 5 was recently released over here, April 12 I think Mech said. There seem to be about 2 a year coming over here.

10. Quote Originally Posted by TrialSword
    There seem to be about 2 a year coming over here.
    Yep, so far it's been a new one every six months (which seems to be consistant with the space between Japanese releases) and I imagine they'll stick with that.