Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123457 ... LastLast

Thread: Gunnm/Battle Angel Alita

Best manga ever made. Seriously. Good to hear people talking about it. I need to read the more of the LO stuff...never really got around to it yet.

Even though the anime pales in comparison to the manga, I still adore it. Hmm.
    I took all your French Toast.

GUNNM Hurricane rocks!

I've dug this manga for ages now.

3. and a book called Ashen Victor which focuses on pre-Alita Motorball (which IIRC isn't by Kishiro, but I don't own it and haven't read it).
    It really doesn't tie in with Alita any aside from the fact that it's a sport that takes place in her universe. And yeah, it's by Kishiro. He adopted a completely different style for it, very Frank Miller-esque, with very adept use of contrasting black and white. Great stuff.

4. P.S. does anyone know what the lastest arc is (from Japan that is)
    spoilers kinda
    so does Alita get to mars???
    does she regain her memory?

5. Quote Originally Posted by WTFer
    P.S. does anyone know what the lastest arc is (from Japan that is)
    spoilers kinda
    so does Alita get to mars???
    does she regain her memory?
    She's not at Mars yet. She's helping this guy complete his revenge against LADDER by competing in the Z.O.T. tournament. Desty Nova's been "eaten" by this guy named Mbadi, and we're unsure if he'll ever come back.

There's a new fighter named Zazie who is an on/off again friend/fighting companion of Alita's.

She's SORT of gained her memory back, but she has a long way to go.

6. Not to be a nuisance, but since (especially Mech) is so familiar with the series, could you list what to get if someone wanted to check out the series? I was impressed with the anime, but figured it just sort of glossed over what was available in the manga. However, searching for books becomes obtuse, because I get listings for both Gunnm and Battle Angel Alita, oftentimes both when searching for one or the other.

I'm getting there's 8 US releases of Gunnm...and 5 of Gunnm: Last Order (but 2 haven't been brought over yet). Do they go buy that name in US or just BAA/BAA:LO?

7. Quote Originally Posted by FuryFox
    Not to be a nuisance, but since (especially Mech) is so familiar with the series, could you list what to get if someone wanted to check out the series? I was impressed with the anime, but figured it just sort of glossed over what was available in the manga. However, searching for books becomes obtuse, because I get listings for both Gunnm and Battle Angel Alita, oftentimes both when searching for one or the other.

I'm getting there's 8 US releases of Gunnm...and 5 of Gunnm: Last Order (but 2 haven't been brought over yet). Do they go buy that name in US or just BAA/BAA:LO?
    They go by the names Battle Angel Alita and Battle Angel Alita: Last Order. You won't find the original Viz printing too many places, but I do believe that the new prints (Smaller, read right to left) are available now.

The japs are so lucky, they get huge, hardcover versions of the LO series.

8. I just finished reading LO volume five, and whoa. Great volume, but there was a distinct lack of Alita action, though the focus on Sechs was really awesome. The action was REALLY hard to keep track of this volume, and since I like to make sense of it as much as possible, it took me upwards of three hours to finally soak it all in.

If ever there was a manga series with THE most incredible ass-kicking girlies, Battle Angel is the one. Even Alita's COPIES get to kick a little ass.

The opponents keep getting more bizarre, yet par for the course considering how fucked up the galaxy is.

9. Got volume 9 of the first series today. Read through it and find that an entire chapter was printed twice and so a huge chunk of the end of the story is missing. But it's after she gets to Tiphares(where Last Order starts up) so it doesn't matter.

Also picked up Last Order #2... would have gotten more but they didn't have #3 in the book store. This series is funny to me. A lot of the dialogue is so cheesy but I never seem to mind that much when I read it. It's always been like that.

10. Quote Originally Posted by FuryFox
    Not to be a nuisance, but since (especially Mech) is so familiar with the series, could you list what to get if someone wanted to check out the series? I was impressed with the anime, but figured it just sort of glossed over what was available in the manga.
    The anime was pretty much the first book, IIRC. It did a good job of recreating the manga but since it's only the beginning so it doesn't really seem to go anywhere.

Borders stores carry the entire line (mine has both the old style Alita books and the new print run of the first series) though I don't believe the entire rerelease has come out yet. There's eight volumes of Battle Angel Alita, but the Last Order series replaces the final volume (or at least most of it, from the doll bomb that kills Alita onward). So naturally, just go in order from Battle Angel Alita 1-8 then Last Order 1-whatever.

I totally feel you on the search thing, sometimes even I got confused trying to hunt down LO stuff on sites like Amazon because they bunch everything together and don't always make it very clear what's in what order.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrialSword
    Even Alita's COPIES get to kick a little ass.
    Sonic boom knitting!