Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 245678 ... LastLast

Thread: Gunnm/Battle Angel Alita

1. Yup, I got it too. I was looking for D. GRay Man and since that wasn't there, I got this instead. I didn't like this volume as much as 5 or 6, but then again I think this manga is head and shoulders above 90% of what comes out anyway, so that isn't really being negative.
    www.classic-games.net updated every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

2. Fantastic first half, meh second half. The last showdown was cool but everything else about those fights was blah.

Alita <3

3. Yeah, the fights in the second half were pretty lame. I need to dig the rest of this out of storage. I forgot why they're fighting in the first place. I hope they finally move on to something else. Well... I guess we'll see... in six months. Woo. There are too many good comic and manga series now anyway. I have a hard time deciding what i don't want to read.
    Donk

4. Hello, hello! Forgive me for being new. :P

I actually found these forums when I tried googling a more complete list of Panzer Kunst moves after feeling that the Wikipedia entry only had a fair few. These forums seem pretty cool, and all that.

I bought LO volume one earlier this year, not sure when, after itching to read Battle Angel for god knows how long. I got LO first namely because by the time I wanted to get into it, the manga shop I go to ran out of Battle Angel! Thankfully, I found the original at Border's only a couple blocks away, and only need volumes 6 and 9 to finish it up.

Yeah, great manga series, great characters, very very technicall, all that stuff. Pretty much what's been said already, and I'm very eager to see what James Cameron'll do with his movie adaptation. He has the talent and vision to do soemthing GOOD.

Anywho, I've talked to TrialSword about this already, and he seems to like it and suggested I join up and talk to you guys about it. Again, forgive me for including this in my very first post. Whatever, though. Hope you guys like the idea. I'm working on a chat RPG, storytelling format, freeform combat. I was thinking of making it a forum format, but... my last attempt at something like that ended up in disaster because no one wanted to post anything.
    ---------------
    The title so far is Battle Angel Alita: Reconciliation. (Personally, I prefer the NA names and such. I knew them first and they just grew on me.) The RPG takes place around the time Alita and crew set off for Ketheres, and takes a fairly plausible run through the events that're bound to happen between Tiphares and the Scrapyard. Actual roleplaying will take place roughly a month before Tiphares's descent into chaos mainly for the purpose of character establishment and development. It'll deal with Motorball, Hunter-Warrior hunts, and all that good stuff.

So Tiphares finally goes up in flames. The Scrapyard takes notice even from below. After a few raised eyebrows, they simply go about their business and carry on with their daily lives. It's been hardly half a year since Den's forces invaded Tiphares and wrecked a good portion of the city's center. So what if Tiphares started coughing up smoke? However, everything changes not long after when the Factories suddenly shut down. Given their connection to Tiphares, the automations controlling the Factories should naturally cease to work as a result of the chaos above and the M.I.B. getting hacked into and subsequently being shut down. Motorball shuts down. The heads of the sport immeditaely under the Factories' control work on bringing the sport back online and officially announce some technical difficulties. Hunter-Warriors soon find themselves out of work! They can't access their lists nor collect rewards! Both Netmen and Deckmen are out of commission. Key people at the top of the Scrapyard's society try in vain to cover up what happened, and the overall state of affairs blew up into an all-out panic. Around this time, Vector and Kaos set to work on building the tower to Tiphares at the center of the Scrapyard, announcing their plan to everyone. With the factories dead, what could possibly stop them from building the tower? For the most part, the panic settled down and construction began. If anyone was unhappy or bearing ill will, they were hiding it for now.

In Tiphares, things have finally calmed down with the defeat of Sachumodo and the reconciliation between the children and adults of Tiphares. Among the things done to restore order, scavenging efforts went underway, producing enough food to last the survivors a couple more months. Marge Mahan, the de facto head of the survivors, knew they could not last for long without attempting to reach out to the Scrapyard. However, centuries of animosity prevented her from being able to simply step out and ask for help. Finding as many G.I.B. survivors as possible, Marge requested they try their best to salvage what they could from the TUNED project. Marge figured they could use a few bodyguards for their own safety when the time came to attempt to open any sort of relations with the surface. Out of respect for Alita, she asked that the newly-dubbed Re-TUNED androids be made to look different. While these machines are based off of incomplete and imperfect data and obviously inferior to the older models as a result, they should be more than capable of adapting to anything thrown at them. Should they meet any warrior from the Scrapyard willing to achieve their goal of unification, they should be properly outfitted to deal with any threat seeking to take control of Tiphares for itself.

When the story reaches that point, the player-controlled characters will have to decide between forgiving Tiphares and helping out with the unification eforts or join the opposing side and seize control of the tower construction efforts in hopes of invading the floating city and seizing control of everything for themselves.
    ------------

Hope that was an interesting read. I already have five or so people total for it. If you guys are interested, feel free to talk to me. If not, you're at least welcome to give feedback on the setup, in case I screwed up anywhere.
    Last edited by OtakuD00D; 06 Nov 2006 at 11:16 PM.

5. Otaku's a nice guy, be nice chilluns.

In other news, volume 8 should be out soon. I hear it's mostly about that vampire chick though.
    Last edited by George; 05 Nov 2006 at 06:56 PM.

6. So? Caerula's awesome. The cover art for it's pretty neat. What I wonder though, is how Melchizedek'll figure into everything this time around. It obivously has a huge role like it did in the first series, but it hasn't announced itself like it has in the original series.

So far, it seems that Melchizedek was responsible for rebuilding civilization and constructing the orbital ring after the meteor's impact. After that, Melchizedek's explanation about Tiphares's original purpose was a port and breeding ground for space-capable humans was probably true, and the heart-break it felt was re-interpreted as Alita's sabotage of Melchizedek before her capture by Caerula's hands. I wonder if it'll speak for itself again, if it's even able to.

(Also. I finally read volume 9 of the original. Helped me flesh out the overall situation a bit more, so I edited my previous post if anyone cares to read.)
    Last edited by OtakuD00D; 06 Nov 2006 at 11:20 PM.

7. So if anyone hasn't already yet, I'd just like to mention it's a great day to visit your local bookstore.

8. Glee! I'll have it by tonight.

9. I'm just slightly disappointed that there was very little in the way of new plot developments, but this whole back story with Caerula looks like it's going to fill in the gaps from Earth's history until the Martian wars and then of course the formation of the scrapyard.

Sucky that it's a cliffhanger ending, but just another SIX MONTHS until we see what happens.

10. Quote Originally Posted by TrialSword View Post
    Sucky that it's a cliffhanger ending, but just another SIX MONTHS until we see what happens.
    I wish the rest of the manga was released this way. Fucking stupid over-saturated market.