Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 578910 LastLast

Thread: Gunnm/Battle Angel Alita

1. Quote Originally Posted by Dunlap View Post
    I hadn't read past the Yugo story in the manga
    Me either. I also saw the anime years ago, so I'm pretty much in the same boat as you are in terms of what I'll bring into this movie if I bother going to see it.

That said, if this movie basically follows the Yugo story, the inclusion of this motorball thing I'm hearing about doesn't seem like it would gel well with that narrative. Does it feel pointless and tacked-on as an excuse for neat-o action scenes, or is motorball actually integrated well and does it add to the story in a significant way? I'm expecting the former.

Also, is Yugo basically a serial killer/cyborg body part thief like he was in the anime, or is that toned down/removed?
    Last edited by Dolemite; 19 Feb 2019 at 06:36 PM.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

2. I don't know how you can add motorball and have it "add to the story", but I think they integrated it pretty well by tying the supporting cast to jobs revolving around the sport. I've gone back to re-read the comic and I'm still in the first motorball volume, and I noticed they even dropped a couple Easter eggs in the movie, like namedropping Jashugan and showing her racing body. It's honestly just there for the spectacle, like Quidditch in Harry Potter, but it worked for me as an action setpiece. It does add some action and thus removes some heavy atmosphere to a point in the story that probably should have been heavier, but across the board the film just isn't that heavy.
    And to your spoiler, He's been toned down a lot to fit the teen girl narrative. His motivation is not strongly defined, and he is just a general "parts jacker" (not spines). He also has to deal with having reciprocal feelings for Alita, whereas in the manga it's all one-sided.The story ends up playing out very similarly, but the context leaves you feeling very differently, if I can say that in a non-spoiler way. I don't want to say that Cameron and Rodriguez missed the point, but they definitely changed the message.

This movie basically follows the anime storyline, including the character Chiren, fleshes it out with more stuff from the manga, and sprinkles in motorball. Very little could be considered original, but it's all been mixed around and tweaked to make everything fit together.
    Last edited by Dunlap; 19 Feb 2019 at 07:01 PM.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

3. Motorball is from the later comics, I don't feel like they really needed to add it in as it kind of clutters the narrative up honestly.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

Yes, I would say the movie tried too hard to be young adult female without pushing any boundaries. A lot of punches were pulled with how ido and yugo felt about alita. Things were a bit more vague or one sided in the orginal.

5. Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    Motorball is from the later comics, I don't feel like they really needed to add it in as it kind of clutters the narrative up honestly.
    Yeah, that's the impression I was getting. There was enough going on in the Yugo story arc that shoving in a futuristic sport as well just seemed like overkill.

6. Oh, and:

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

So, do they not know she is gally in japan?

8. What do you think?
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

Eh, just seems kind of odd in 2019 where everyone on that stage has a super computer in their pocket. As they talk to a character generated onto a screen like a poor man's sharon apple.

We can put a missile down a 3 inch pipe but fuck doing a little pre work before you promote a multi million dollar product / art piece / whatever.