Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4678910 LastLast

Thread: Gunnm/Battle Angel Alita

1. I don't know about legitimately good film, but I have faith in Rodriguez being able to capture the wackier stuff like the rollerball death derby really well.

2. Quote Originally Posted by No One View Post
    I don't ask this to be cynical; I'm genuinely curious: has there ever been a western adaptation of a famous manga or anime that actually turned out okay? I'm not talking about B movie shit like The Guyver or Fist of the North Star, I mean a legitimately good film that does the original justice.
    Speed Racer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

3. TNL does seem unusually enthusiastic about that one. I've still never seen it. I'll give it a shot this weekend if I get the chance.

4. Disclaimer: I am not a fan of the original show; I've seen like two episodes in my entire life. I'm judging the movie purely on its own merits, but on that basis I found it to be a ton of fun.

Is someone like michelle trachtenberg going to play gally? America only has so many short small curvy women that could play her.

im very cool with this in general.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    Is someone like michelle trachtenberg going to play gally? America only has so many short small curvy women that could play her.
    Rosa Salazar

8. Quote Originally Posted by No One View Post
    I don't ask this to be cynical; I'm genuinely curious: has there ever been a western adaptation of a famous manga or anime that actually turned out okay? I'm not talking about B movie shit like The Guyver or Fist of the North Star, I mean a legitimately good film that does the original justice.

Much of Gunnm's allure (for me at least) comes from Yukito Kishiro's beautiful artwork, so it's hard for me to get fired up about a live action version of it.
    This movie deserves a little more discussion than the What Are You Watching thead. We've had threads about it back to at least 2004. I watched the anime as a kid back on the Sci-Fi channel.

I saw this movie, twice. I hadn't read past the Yugo story in the manga, and it'd been at least a decade since I did that or watched the anime. But yes, I think it legitimately does the original justice.

The movie is obviously a fan of the original material, and for that I think any fan should be able to enjoy it. It's honestly too much into the original. The movie is full of great actors that don't get to shine because the movie is more concerned with world building. But it really nails the homages. I stared in wide-eyed wonder as Christoph Waltz assembled a rocket hammer. There's plenty for fans of the material to mark out to.

From the beginning, Cameron said he wanted the protagonist to be completely CGI. Whether you agree with that design choice or not, it was for the best that he waited until now to actually execute the film. This movie is completely focused on Alita, and the CG really needed to be able to carry that. I think it is easy enough to accept if you want to. The first viewing I got over the look in the first scene, while the second viewing I paid more notice to it throughout. Alita really looks more like a walking doll than a human. The CG integration is really solid throughout; I never felt like the characters were not interacting with each other. The action is also well-choreographed and very easy to follow, without shaking and quick cuts. CG Alita is more convincingly anime-acrobatic than a live actor would have been.

In contrast to the fanservice, Cameron's screenplay took this ultraviolent and melancholic series and turned it into an action movie for teen girls. While it does manage to stay pretty violent because everyone is a robot, this is a coming of age story of a teen girl, for teen girls. The love story is over-emphasised, Ido is quite explicitly a protective father, Alita is enamored in how cool everything is. Personally, I am not such a fan of the original that this change in tone upsets me, and I think the movie's plot makes more sense than the original at times. Audience reaction seems to be generally positive, so I guess it is not upsetting most people. But I think fans like No One will be conflicted when they see it hit so close to the original that it ends up in another kind of uncanny valley.

I think in the end it is completely unashamed to be what it is, and it's a love letter to the original. There's no reason for a fan to miss it, though it is harder to recommend to someone who doesn't like anime. It's better than most could hope an anime adaptation to be.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

I've said it elsewhere but my only issue was how poorly the background characters were chosen. Especially the young adults. They're all healthy, clean, well groomed, and plump. There is just a lack of grit given the world around them. It doesnt really impact the movie too much, but it prevents the movie from achieving the dark atmosphere of other dystopian movies.

10. It's weird to see all the healthy kids next to Alita's extremely thin face.
    I think the tone of the world in general is weird. There's no drug use, sex is virtually absent, but Alita will make hamburger out of a man's face without any introspection. I see people talk about it pushing PG-13 because it's skirting some technicalities with robots vs humans, but I'd about say the movie could have been PG without the violence. It's like the first Harry Potter. Harry sees Quidditch for the first time and everyone's smiling and cheering, but the players are killing each other.
    Hunger Games did a good job at dystopian for kids.

Did you even notice the music? I honestly cannot remember any of it. The anime had that awesome fight music, but that was riffing off Blade Runner and I know I can't expect that kind of sound today. Even so, I don't remember anything in this.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!