Thread: Fix my computer plz. CPU overheating.

1. Fix my computer plz. CPU overheating.

Alright, I've been hearing system beeps while playing any new videogame. They don't happen often, but they're getting more frequent. After doing a little research, I now know it's a CPU temperature warning.

After asking around, someone mentioned that my power supply may be outputting incorrect voltages, so I just replaced it with another. Didn't seem to solve anything, though.

I'm using an Intel Pentium 4, 3.2 gigahertz processor. Sitting idly in XP (as I write this,) it's running at 63 degrees Celsius. In-game, I've seen it go up to 78, and likely higher.

I'm not sure where to go next. Could it be a problem with the CPU itself? Or has the heatsink simply gone out of alignment? Maybe the motherboard (ABIT IC7) is screwed up? All/none of the above? I'd just like some ideas before I start taking it apart.
    Last edited by epmode; 21 Apr 2005 at 04:10 PM.

2. open the case and make sure the fan is still running on the heatsink. Get a can of air and blow the dust out of the heatsink as well. Do you keep your case in an enclosed space? Like the cabinets built into some computer desks? Take it out of there and make sure it's in open space so air is free to circulate. If that doesn't help you have bigger problems.

3. The case is sitting out in the open, all the fans are working and I cleaned out the dust from the heatsink. Still running hot.

4. get a better fan/heatsink

5. I hear that Arctic Silver thermo paste does a quality job. It's like 3 bucks a tube or something. Heatsink/fans are cheap too.

6. Replaced CPU fan and heatsink, still running hot. I'm not overclocking or even running anything too taxing. It's only World of Warcraft.

7. Play XBOX.

8. The mobo could be reporting temperature wrong. Other than that, just don't glob on the thermal compound.

9. I hope you have a warranty on your CPU. If it overheats too many times, you can kiss it goodbye. If its at all possible, try another motherboard. It might be reporting the temperature wrong. If thats not the case, rip off that heatsink, clean the CPU, and apply a fresh coat of thermal grease (Artic Silver or CoolMasters) and slap on a new HS/Fan. That shouldnt cost you more than $30/40.

10. o_O