Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 64-Bit Windows Releases Now Available

1. 64-Bit Windows Releases Now Available

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=0...55215&from=rss
    SimplyJeff writes "Athlon 64 users rejoice! Today at WinHEC 2005 in Seattle, Microsoft announced availability of the 64-bit editions of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003. Strangely (and possibly a sign the drivers aren't yet up to snuff), Microsoft will not sell the 64-bit releases in retail outlets. For now, only new PC buys can get Windows x64 Edition as an option. However, those who purchased Windows XP after March 31, 2003, can trade in their copy for the 64-bit version at a cost of $12 and a voided warranty. Although, x64 users will get one free support call to Microsoft." Reader bonch adds a link to CNET's review of the OS.
    Awesome. This comes about when I'm going to attempt to build a PC. Can't wait to get 8 gigs of RAM.

2. OMG! This sucks, I have no legal way of getting this upgrade... wait...
    Last edited by AstroBlue; 26 Apr 2005 at 06:12 AM.
    Quick zephyrs blow, vexing daft Jim.

3. Be careful with the hardware you pick, driver support is very spotty. If you currently have a computer, you almost certainly have at least one piece of hardware that isnt supported yet. Im basing this on Paul Thurrott's review on www.winsupersite.com, the ultimate Microsoft fanboy site. Yea, there's a Microsoft fanboy.

Also it doesnt run any 16-bit code whatsoever, so... you cant run those old pre-Win95 games and apps you have.

Yea.
    Last edited by diffusionx; 26 Apr 2005 at 09:25 AM.

4. I might do this when the MAME 64 bit builds get good.

5. Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    Also it doesnt run any 16-bit code whatsoever, so... you cant run those old pre-Win95 games and apps you have.
    Fucking hell. First DOS, now this. Maybe this isn't a good thing at all.

6. Do not fear progress, no do not, yes.

7. Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    That doesn't bother me at all. I can't think of any DOS applications I use anymore except for SNEStool, which is redundant now since ZSNES supports on-the-fly IPS patching. I plan to build myself a brand new machine by the end of the year (starting from scratch), so I'll probably go for WinXP 64.

Can't wait to get 8 gigs of RAM.
    Uh, wha? I was planning on putting 1 GB of ram in my new PC that doesn't exist yet. If it requires a lot more than that to run properly, I'd better start saving my money now.

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaFlareX
    That doesn't bother me at all. I can't think of any DOS applications I use anymore except for SNEStool, which is redundant now since ZSNES supports on-the-fly IPS patching. I plan to build myself a brand new machine by the end of the year (starting from scratch), so I'll probably go for WinXP 64.

Uh, wha? I was planning on putting 1 GB of ram in my new PC that doesn't exist yet. If it requires a lot more than that to run properly, I'd better start saving my money now.
    I think he was referring to the ability of the 64 bit CPUs to address up to 8 gigs of ram...
    Quote Originally Posted by dakidski View Post
    prolapsed rectum 4 lyfe.

9. Can't wait to get 8 gigs of RAM.
    How would you go about doing that anyway? I didn't know you could even get 4gb on one stick yet, and besides, that would cost like $3000 to buy. You'd have to be crazy.

10. This is seriously gay. I have like a partition of my huge harddrive ready for this shit and MS aren't selling it retail.

I may install x64 Fedora or Ubuntu just to spite them.

HOW DO YOU LIKE DEM APPLES BILL?!!!