Thread: Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2 video - good lord

1. Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2 video - good lord

Yes, EA actually IS good for something. The game is looking gorgeous. The original NFS Hot Pursuit is still one of my favorite racers. I just hope they get back to having really creative tracks. All of the tracks in Hot Pursuit were interesting and visually creative, only some of the tracks in High Stakes were, and then from what I saw I wasn't impressed with Porsche Challenge.

Also, I hope the hand break still isn't broken like it was in High Stakes (never played Porsche, though, so they may have fixed it).

http://mediaviewer.ign.com/ignMediaP...+2+Impressions
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

2. Man, I hate Need For Speed. It's like the poster child for the "western developers can't touch the Japanese" argument. And this can't change my mind, since when I click on that link I get "Null".

EA is only good for two things as far as I know, and they're called NHL and FIFA.
    -Kyo

3. You must be kidding me Strider. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit is a great racer and the PC version of NFS: Porsche Unleashed is excellent and has great graphics and gameplay. The F1 series from EA (or was it Video Systems?) is the best F1 series, the Nascar games by Papyrus/Sierra are fantastic. Also, Superbike 2K1 by EA is the BEST motorcycle racer EVER.

Mind you that these are all PC titles, but they all have great gameplay unlike most Japanese racers which mostly (with the exception of the Gran Turismo series and a very few choice others) have paper thin gameplay that is more suited to an arcade than a home console. But thats my opinion..ya like what ya like.

TheSCHLONG! Guest
    Originally posted by StriderKyo
    Man, I hate Need For Speed. It's like the poster child for the "western developers can't touch the Japanese" argument. And this can't change my mind, since when I click on that link I get "Null".

EA is only good for two things as far as I know, and they're called NHL and FIFA.
    you've got to be kidding me. nhl is a mere shell of the fun it used to be in the 16-bit days. id give my life for hand animation. the day they started mo-capping was the day the series started to blow. the animation and defensive ai in the series completely sucks these days.

Originally posted by raystorm
    You must be kidding me Strider. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit is a great racer and the PC version of NFS: Porsche Unleashed is excellent and has great graphics and gameplay. The F1 series from EA (or was it Video Systems?) is the best F1 series, the Nascar games by Papyrus/Sierra are fantastic. Also, Superbike 2K1 by EA is the BEST motorcycle racer EVER.

Mind you that these are all PC titles, but they all have great gameplay unlike most Japanese racers which mostly (with the exception of the Gran Turismo series and a very few choice others) have paper thin gameplay that is more suited to an arcade than a home console. But thats my opinion..ya like what ya like.
    So Need for Speed is better than Daytona or Ridge Racer? Whatever you're smoking, I want some.

6. Originally posted by TriForce
    So Need for Speed is better than Daytona or Ridge Racer? Whatever you're smoking, I want some.
    Dude.. Daytona is great.. for ARCADES!! The game is great..its fun..has good control, typical Sega quality. But it terms of single player gameplay for a home console I think its really lacking and gets old really fast. I think in an arcade nothing is better than a nice 8 player game of Daytona, but I wouldnt buy a home version of it. As for Ridge Racer..eh.. I never cared for it myself. Oh..and I do think NFS: Porsche Unleashed (PC rev) is better than both in terms of gameplay. It takes half a hour to see all that Daytona and Ridge Racer has to offer..it takes weeks to fully complete Porsche Unleashed. Like I said.. its MY opinion, I'm not bashing either title or all japanese racers, but I think alot of american and european racers are better gameplay wise. The best racing SIMS are from american and european developers as well. Obviously the best ARCADE-style racers are from japan. Maybe I should've said it like that the first time.

7. I've only played the PS versions, and next to Ridge Racer it's kind of underwhelming. They were mostly gimmick games that got by on cop chases, with a distinct lack of style. And Ridge Racer spanks them in terms of playability. But that's just me - if you guys found something to enjoy in it, good.

I haven't played EA's F-1 games yet, but I've heard that while they're quite good, they don't quite measure up to Video Systems'. 2002 is next on my rental list.

NHL may not be what it once was, but it's still the only game in town - Sega's games aren't there yet, Bob Cole & Harry Neale aside.

NASCAR = Die.

And Daytona takes a hell of a long time to master - I should know, I just did it. You have to learn the tracks individually, and they can take quite a while to nail.

And I wasn't saying that western developers can't hang with the Japanese, just that NFS doesn't help the argument that they do. Maybe this version'll change my view of that, who knows?
    -Kyo

8. Originally posted by raystorm
    You must be kidding me Strider. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit is a great racer and the PC version of NFS: Porsche Unleashed is excellent and has great graphics and gameplay. The F1 series from EA (or was it Video Systems?) is the best F1 series, the Nascar games by Papyrus/Sierra are fantastic. Also, Superbike 2K1 by EA is the BEST motorcycle racer EVER.

I am in complete agreement about NFS: Porsche Unleashed for PC. That game was amazing. Great graphics and control, and tons of things to do. You could really tell the handling differences when working through time in Evolution mode.

9. Originally posted by TriForce
    Well, after Ridge Racer 4, Need for Speed 3 is my favorite racer. More fun and enjoyable for me than the other Ridge Racer titles? Absolutely. And Daytona is a good "play with friends at the arcade" for me, but it's never been more than that.

So there you go. If you actually spend the time to play NFS3, there's a lot the game has to offer, the track designs are brilliant, and the police features were so sweet back then.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

Originally posted by StriderKyo
    And I wasn't saying that western developers can't hang with the Japanese
    I'll say it, but that discussion is better left to another thread.