Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is this MSN Messenger?

1. Quote Originally Posted by soundwave
    It would be good to read the rest of the thread before you post
    What's your point exactly? No post or link specifically mentioned Windows Messenger, and the image he posted shows Windows Messenger in the window caption. If Windows Messenger is set to start on boot and login automatically, it explains the message that he gets when he logs on using Trillian, that he was already signed in elsewhere and has been signed out.

2. Quote Originally Posted by outRider
    What's your point exactly? No post or link specifically mentioned Windows Messenger, and the image he posted shows Windows Messenger in the window caption. If Windows Messenger is set to start on boot and login automatically, it explains the message that he gets when he logs on using Trillian, that he was already signed in elsewhere and has been signed out.
    I dont have the messenger set to boot and login automatically..only Trillian. If that was the case..then Trillian would of showed up the notification as well.

Thats what I'm curious about.

3. Well, that window you had pop up is definitely an MSN/Windows Messenger window... or maybe another app masquerading as or hijacking Windows Messenger.

Next time it happens try hitting ctrl-alt-del and see what processes are running. You can google most of them to see what they are. If you run Outlook and some other MS software they can automatically boot Windows Messenger as well.

If you can't figure it out from that you can get some software that'll show you exactly which process is spawning those popups and which WNDCLASS it uses.

EDIT:

Actually, just google for instructions on how to disable/uninstall Windows Messenger. If you don't use it and don't want it, it's your easiest option.
    Last edited by outRider; 30 Apr 2005 at 12:29 AM.

4. Quote Originally Posted by outRider
    What's your point exactly? No post or link specifically mentioned Windows Messenger.
    Dude Post #13 of this thread--you fail teh internet.

5. Quote Originally Posted by soundwave
    Dude Post #13 of this thread--you fail teh internet.
    How does that help him at all? Maybe I should have been clearer in sayig that no post specifically mentioned disabling Windows Messenger. Changing his privacy options in MSN/Windows Messenger doesn't address the fact that he doesn't want it running in the first place. You fail at catching teh point.

6. Sigh. I pointed bandit in the right direction--eg the official Microsoft Windows Messenger site. It is pretty to navigate to the section where he can disable the messenger services--I found it in two clicks. No google necessary. I don't readily assume that people have just discovered how to use webpages. Maybe I should start.

In reference to the problem at hand you can remove Windows Messenger by opening the Add or Remove Programs Control Panel. Select the Add/Remove Windows Components and uncheck Windows Messenger. Click Next and let it uninstall said service. Restart if necessary.
    Last edited by soundwave; 30 Apr 2005 at 01:09 AM.

7. Quote Originally Posted by outRider
    Well, that window you had pop up is definitely an MSN/Windows Messenger window... or maybe another app masquerading as or hijacking Windows Messenger.

Next time it happens try hitting ctrl-alt-del and see what processes are running. You can google most of them to see what they are. If you run Outlook and some other MS software they can automatically boot Windows Messenger as well.

If you can't figure it out from that you can get some software that'll show you exactly which process is spawning those popups and which WNDCLASS it uses.

EDIT:

Actually, just google for instructions on how to disable/uninstall Windows Messenger. If you don't use it and don't want it, it's your easiest option.
    If you read above, Windows Messenger is disabled and stopped. I had that turned off since day one.

As for the window pop up. I was able to click the buttons and I clicked BLOCKED the person. I rebooted to see if it shows up again but it didnt. I'll have to reboot it again and see.

Quote Originally Posted by soundwave
    Sigh. I pointed bandit in the right direction--eg the official Microsoft Windows Messenger site. It is pretty to navigate to the section where he can disable the messenger services--I found it in two clicks. No google necessary. I don't readily assume that people have just discovered how to use webpages. Maybe I should start.

In reference to the problem at hand you can remove Windows Messenger by opening the Add or Remove Programs Control Panel. Select the Add/Remove Windows Components and uncheck Windows Messenger. Click Next and let it uninstall said service. Restart if necessary.
    Wouldnt that email address bring up suspicion or something?

Also, now I noticed that I get a virtual memory thing all of a sudden. Saying that Windows is trying to upgrade it or something like that and that programs may not open and/or will close. I have 512MB memory, P4 2.3.GHz. To the comp, I have 2GB virtual memory. I have 1.96GB available. What could be bringing this message up?
    Last edited by bandit; 30 Apr 2005 at 06:40 AM.