Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Wanted Re: Racing Wheels

Question Help Wanted Re: Racing Wheels

I am hoping someone can help me find the right racing wheel. I need the following features in a single wheel, if at all possible:

1. Xbox and PC compatibility
    2. Pedals
    3. Force feedback

I can't seem to find a decent amount of hardware reviews in one place, so if someone has a good source for that as well, that would be quite helpful.

2. I'm wondering about one for Xbox, for Out Run 2. Force feedback I can take or leave, but the lack of pedals would be a dealkiller.

Pity the Xbox doesn't support USB, since the Logitech Wingman Formula Force Pro wheel is great- I've tried it on the Battle Gear series for PS2.

3. No Xbox wheels have true force feedback. The best wheel is probably the new one that came out for Forza, the Fanatec wheel...but it's $150, which is pretty overpriced for its features.

There are no Xbox wheels that are compatible with PC unless you can find a Xbox -> USB convertor and proper drivers.

4. Isn't there a way someone could make a driver for the PS2 Logitech Driving Force Pro (the $150 one) to work on the xbox through a USB->Xbox convertor? I have one that came with my Mega X key, it's one of those USB flash drives and a USB-> Xbox controller port cable to transfer large saves. If the Xbox can recognize the flash drive as a memory card through the controller port, why can't it recognize a wheel through the same cord? At least on a modded Xbox, shouldn't it be possible to install a USB driver that will recognize the wheel as a controller?

5. Quote Originally Posted by salt_peanuts
    Isn't there a way someone could make a driver for the PS2 Logitech Driving Force Pro (the $150 one) to work on the xbox through a USB->Xbox convertor? I have one that came with my Mega X key, it's one of those USB flash drives and a USB-> Xbox controller port cable to transfer large saves. If the Xbox can recognize the flash drive as a memory card through the controller port, why can't it recognize a wheel through the same cord? At least on a modded Xbox, shouldn't it be possible to install a USB driver that will recognize the wheel as a controller?
    Even if that was possible (and I don't think it is, at least not from the user side--the manufacturer of the USB -> Xbox thing would need to build in the support) no games on Xbox support the force feedback functions.

6. I just assumed the wheel translated the rumble effects that would be sent to a regular controller into resistance or rumble on the wheel. And also that the analog stick steering would translate to turning the wheel....at least, I have some old racing games that don't officially support a wheel, but they support Dual Shock, and they work with a wheel....I figured Xbox would work the same

7. Quote Originally Posted by salt_peanuts
    I just assumed the wheel translated the rumble effects that would be sent to a regular controller into resistance or rumble on the wheel. And also that the analog stick steering would translate to turning the wheel....at least, I have some old racing games that don't officially support a wheel, but they support Dual Shock, and they work with a wheel....I figured Xbox would work the same
    Could possibly work for steering and gas functions (possibly), but there'd be no real force feedback. You'd possibly get rumbles, but no resistance.

8. Sucks....racers on Xbox are like 1/4th the fun without the awesome Logitech wheel

That wheel even makes Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2 go from pretty cool to kick ass.

This seems like an easy choice then I guess. The Logitech MOMO wheel for PC has everything I want and works very well for $70-100. I guess OutRun 2 will have to live with the Controller-S.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi
    This seems like an easy choice then I guess. The Logitech MOMO wheel for PC has everything I want and works very well for $70-100. I guess OutRun 2 will have to live with the Controller-S.
    You might want to check into the Logitech DFP for PS2. It should work on PC with no problem (I used the Logitech MOMO on my PS2 and it acted just like their PS2 wheel), and probably has more features than the MOMO (i.e. 900 degrees of rotation, better pedals, etc.).