Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modem for Xbox live

1. Modem for Xbox live

If anyone can tell a better plan, I'd really appreciate it. I have a cable modem for my computer, but my xbox is very far away. The easiest thing to do would probably get another modem to just put in the room. Can anyone suggest some good cheap modems? Looking at BesbtBuy.com, they show some for $74.99 and $79.99. Are there any that are a bit cheaper?

2. I'm not an expert on this sort of thing, but I believe most Cable services only allow you to use one Modem per account.

3. Why not get one of those wireless gaming adapters?

4. Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	router.jpg 
Views:	349 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	15353  

"I can only say that there is not a man living who wishes more sincerely than I do to see a plan adopted for the abolition of slavery." - Tommy Tallarico

5. Well I'm trying to do this as cheeply as possible. Thats why I asked for suggestions. How much would it cost for a decent wireless router and is it something I can set up myself?

EDIT: If I were get another modem, would it work if I only had one hooked up at a time?
    Last edited by ElCapichan; 08 May 2005 at 04:35 PM.

6. Quote Originally Posted by ElCapitan
    Well I'm trying to do this as cheeply as possible. Thats why I asked for suggestions. How much would it cost for a decent wireless router and is it something I can set up myself?

EDIT: If I were get another modem, would it work if I only had one hooked up at a time?
    Wireless router is about...70 bucks. Then you'd need the wireless reciever for the xbox which is like 50 I think. It's easy to set up.

and I think the 2nd modem thing would work. Not sure if there would be an IP address issue or anything. Someone else field this one.

7. You can get a wireless router for less then $50 nowadays..after rebates and stuff. Do some searching in those Sunday advertisements.

Or just get one of these..

The Motorola WE800G 802.11g Wireless Gaming Adapter/Ethernet Bridge is your fast and easy way to get cabled Ethernet appliances onto a Wifi Network. Plug it temporarily into your computer to program it, then plug it into your PS/2, Xbox, Internet-equipped refrigerator, Tivo, ReplayTV or printer—anything with an ethernet connection—and this becomes a wifi antenna for that device. Meanwhile, your device thinks it’s hardwired into the network, so it’s like a trip to the mini golf course: you won’t need any drivers.

What’s better, this smart little bugger makes transitions between two separate networks as seamless as a rubber miniskirt. For example, you could use it to connect to both your home and office networks. You know, if you had a job.

It’s all pretty user-friendly—and it’s Motorola, so you’ll have help if you need it. The quality of their support rivals that of something you’d find in the underwear drawer of Morganna “the Kissing Bandit.” (Not to jinx you, but we got through to a very knowledgable live human—or extremely convincing simulated human—in less than a minute each time we called.)

Though it would be handy if this bundle operated peer-to-peer with the USB adapter feeding the bridge, it will not, as far as we know. An existing Wireless Access Point (or one you buy elsewhere, or a WiFi router) will be necessary for network setup. If any nerd among you knows of a point-to-point solution, post it in our forum. It’ll be like untying the Gordian Knot! Or removing the Sword from the Stone! Except the reward will be much more modest: nothing.

Motorola WU830G USB 2.0 Adaptor:
    This little thing-a-ma-jig makes wireless networking easier than ever. Just plug it directly into any available USB port on your desktop or laptop PC, and enjoy wireless networking.

On your 802.11g or 802.11b wireless home or small office network, multiple users can share a single broadband connection, files, a printer and more. (They can enjoy the excitement of real-time online gaming too!) It installs in just seconds, after which your momma will beam with pride. You were such a selfish child growing up! But look at how well you share now!

Motorola WE800G 802.11g Wireless Gaming Adapter/Ethernet Bridge:
    Condition: New, retail
    All-in-one unit bridges Ethernet and gaming peripherals
    Includes 802.11g technology and is backward compatible with 802.11b access devices
    Users are free to roam almost anywhere up to 328 feet inside the home and up to 1312 feet outside
    Easily stores the settings for two separate networks
    Works without drivers on any device with an Ethernet port — on Windows®, Macintosh®, Linux®, Microsoft Xbox®, Sony PlayStation®, ReplayTV and Tivo
    Standard IEEE 802.11g
    IEEE 802.11b, 802.3, 802.3u
    Device Management Web-Based
    Port One 10/100 Mbps Ethernet; RJ-45
    Wireless Data Rates 1, 2, 5.5, 6, 9, 11, 12, 18, 24, 36, 48, 54Mbps with auto-fallback support
    Security WPA with TKIP or AES encryption; Legacy 64-bit and 128-bit WEP
    Operating Range: outdoor 1312 feet; indoor 328 feet Max
    Frequency Band 2.4 to 2.4835 GHz
    Channels 1–11 United States and Canada
    Modulation CCK, DQPSK, DPBSK, OFDM
    Transmitted Power: +15 dBm
    LEDs for Power, LAN, Wireless
    Dimensions 4x5x1(LxWxH)
    Motorola WU830G 802.11g Wireless USB 2.0 Adaptor
    Condition: New, retail
    Single USB 2.0 connection
    Supports high-speed 2.4 GHz data rates up to 54 Mbs
    Retrieves data up to 5 times faster than 802.11b networking
    Automatically detects available wireless networks
    Backwards compatible with 802.11b access devices
    Standards: IEEE 802.11b, 802.11g, USB 2.0, USB 1.1,WHQL
    Security: 64/128-Bit WEP, WPA
    Channels: 11 channels (US, Canada), 13 channels (ETSI)
    Transmitted Power: +12.5dBm
    Antenna: Internal Antenna
    Operating Range: outdoor 1312 feet; indoor 328 feet max

8. Thanks for the advice everyone. I figure I'm just gonna wait, since I'll be in college in a few months and won't have need of a wireless router then.

Bandit: how much does one of those cost?
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    Screw being smart. This is TNL.

10. Moto Bridge: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833301102

Nice find, Bandit. I might just have to get one of these.