Thread: So I just got DSL..

1. So I just got DSL..

I got the SBC Yahoo DSL's 1.5-3.0 down...for others with a similar package (with SBC or otherwise), what is the average Download rate you get?
    I'm getting about 124kb a second...and for some reason I'm feeling this is a bit slow.

I also ran the speed test at DSL reports and is said I was getting service in the 1.3 down range, and 310 up. So this is a bit below the minimum I'm suppose to recieve, however, since it's only a little bit below, I'm thinking there is some rate of error, and I may actually be getting 1.5.

2. You cant really trust those download testers. if youre getting 1.3 and theyre advertising 1.5... its within the margin of error.

3. yeah, I know, which is why I'm not too up in arms.

Also, I'm gettig about 140kbs on a file right now, and I've gathered 1.5 is about 130. So I'm right at the bottom. Eh, better then only getting 50kb down.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Criticom
    yeah, I know, which is why I'm not too up in arms.

Also, I'm gettig about 140kbs on a file right now, and I've gathered 1.5 is about 130. So I'm right at the bottom. Eh, better then only getting 50kb down.
    It's dependent on a bunch of factors like where you're downloading from. Try some online bandwidth testers like:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Bandwidth_me...-7254_7-0.html

They're not perfect but are a better gauge than most.

5. so I've got another problem, then I can't seem to find a answer for online.

I have 2 phone lines (1448), and (0961). The phone jack that I have the dsl plugged into, had a regular phone cord going to a splitter, then to my modem, and to my phone, where we could then sellect line 1, or line 2 by pressing the corresponding number.

Well, I installed the DSL filter in the phone jack, and the DSL is working fine, but the problem is coming with the phone now...I'm only able to get 0961 to work on the phone. 0961 is the line that I had the DSL activated on. I've tried just running a regular line from the jack to the phone, I've tryed leaving it in the splitter like it was before...but neither seem to work. 1448 still just comes up dead.

So, I'm stuck...do I have to buy a special filter to split the line at that jack? or what?

I'll try calling SBC tech help, but they're a bunch of idiots, and I doubt they'll be able to help.

6. I had a similar problem happen with our phone line. At first, everything ran fine using the splitters, but then we would get interference on the phone line. Removing the splitter helped, but then interference came again even with the splitter. Our problem, however, had to do with the fact that our DSL was running directly over halogen lights, and somehow this effected our landline as well. Moving the line fixed everything.

Also, I had SBC Yahoo! DSL at that time. I got around 140-160kbs for the first month. After that, I averaged 100kbs. We ditched SBC for Comcast since it's slightly cheaper and they guarantee 4mbps now. I get a pretty consistant 3mbps with them, so my advice really is to just get cable if you can. It's easier and much more reliable.

7. About the speed issue:

DSL connections won't deliver the total speed you're provisioned for. If SBC says 1.5M and you're getting 1.3M, that's actually right on target. The connection uses a bit of overhead bandwidth for synching and whatnot.