Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading

1. Upgrading

Hey, I wanna run some upgrades on my computer but there is a couple things I need to know.

Right now I have 1 stick of 512 RDRAM and I want to get 2 more 512 sticks of SD RAM. Is this possible?
    I figure the old RDRAM could cause a problem with the SD RAM but I'm not sure.

I also am looking at the Geforce 6600 256mb card, is it good?

Basically, I wanna play some World of Warcraft without being lagged in PVP! ...and for future games aswell.

My computer is a pentium 2 gig, so is it even upgradable to 1500-600 RAM anyways?

2. You cannot mix RDRAM with SDRAM. No way. And your CPU isnt bad, just check your mobo for requirements for max ram. Its probably 1-1.5 gigs.

3. The Geforce 6600GT is the "best bang for the buck" video card at the moment and I think you should be able to get it for less than $200.

4. Yea, find your mobo type and do a google search. It shuld give you good information on what type of Ram you should be looking for.

5. I checked the package of stuff I got with my PC and it says that it's upgradeable up to 2 gig of RAM.

So I should be ok, but I should take out the old 512 stick and just replace it with 2 new SD RAM sticks? Will that be ok or will my computer rebel and turn into a clown or something?

How do I find out my motherboard type? Is it right click on My Computer, Device Manager, then in there?

6. NO. If you have RDRAM, RDRAM is the *ONLY THING* your motherboard accepts. I know why you want SDRAM - because its a lot cheaper - but youre just gonna have to bite the bullet and get RDRAM. Im in the same situation now, it blows (I bought 256 megs of RAM for another comp for $30 last year, now I gotta spend $110 on 512 megs of RDRAM... fuck Rambus).
    Last edited by diffusionx; 12 May 2005 at 12:17 PM.

7. Ok ok, I don't know that's why I'm asking. I want SD RAM because that's what everyone has told me to get, not because it's cheaper.

I really don't know about these things to in depth, so that's why I'm here. Relax.

Holy piss, RDRAM is like $330 Canadian for 1 stick of 512 Cosair RDRAM.

Maybe I'll just wait and see if I get a new job (salary) and just buy a new damn computer... and give this one to Andrew so I can PVP his ass with no lag.

8. Yea, the lucky thing for me is that my computer uses low-end RDRAM, so its still not horrible. RD800 and RD1066 is insanely priced, though.

9. Quote Originally Posted by jonas
    Ok ok, I don't know that's why I'm asking. I want SD RAM because that's what everyone has told me to get, not because it's cheaper.

I really don't know about these things to in depth, so that's why I'm here. Relax.

Holy piss, RDRAM is like $330 Canadian for 1 stick of 512 Cosair RDRAM.

Maybe I'll just wait and see if I get a new job (salary) and just buy a new damn computer... and give this one to Andrew so I can PVP his ass with no lag.
    you get shitty lag/ping times mostly because of your internet connection, not your system specs.

10. That's not true. Most people with 512 ram get lag, and when they upgrade to 1024.. it's gone.