Page 1 of 22 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Blade TV movie and series in the works

1. Blade TV movie and series in the works

http://news.yahoo.com/s/eo/20050507/...o/16500/nc:763

Spike TV has ordered a two-hour TV movie based on Wesley Snipes' blockbuster vampire franchise that will serve as a launching pad for a full-blooded tube series.

The testosterone-fueled Viacom-owned, which has been struggling to come up with a flagship show, hopes a successful Blade telefilm will evolve into a sort of macho version of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, appealing both to fanboys and a wider audience.

"The action-adventure genre is largely ignored in today's television landscape, and we know it is something that our male viewers really want," Doug Herzog, president of Spike TV, said in a statement. "Blade is a great movie franchise with an established brand that men already recognize and identify with."

David Goyer, who wrote the screenplays for all three Blade films--1998's Blade, 2002's Blade II and 2004's Blade: Trinity (which he also directed)--will serve as executive producer on the project.

But don't expect to see Snipes staking out a role.

The thespian who portrayed the titular half-man, half-vampire bad-ass hero, is suing New Line Cinema and Goyer for $5 million, accusing them of breach of contract.

Snipes' suit contends that not only was he not given final approval over the script and director of Blade: Trinity as promised in his contract, but that the studio still owes him $3.6 million of the $13 million the actor was supposed to get up front for fighting the bloodsuckers one more time.

The first Blade film was an unqualified success, with $70 million in domestic ticket sales and a hit DVD. Blade II fared even better, raking in $81 million. However, the series stumbled earlier this year with the final installment. Budgeted at $65 million, Blade: Trinity took in a disappointing $52 million.

The Blade TV movie will premiere on Spike TV in early 2006.
    If it doesn't have Blade in it (unless someone else plays him), um, how can it be a Blade show? It'll be like the old Friday the 13th TV show that didn't have Jason. I don't see this going well.

As for the whole lawsuit thing, I know Wesley has a rep as being difficult to work with, but I gotta side with him on this. It's totally David Goyer's fault (both as writer and director) that Blade: Trinity stumbled and didn't measure up at all to the first two movies.
    Last edited by Dolemite; 26 Jun 2006 at 10:15 AM.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

2. "The action-adventure genre is largely ignored in today's television landscape, and we know it is something that our male viewers really want," Doug Herzog, president of Spike TV, said in a statement. "Blade is a great movie franchise with an established brand that men already recognize and identify with."
    Woah, really? What about Alias, Lost, and 24? Three of the best shows on TV, all action-adventures. Doesnt look like its being ignored to me.

This is a stupid decision and akin to making a Matrix series now. Two shitty movies and nobody likes the franchise anymore except for Despair. The Blade series is dead, let it die. I bet the only reason Spike picked Blade is because the franchise is worth nothing. I really hope this fails and Spike is forced to go back to showing monster truck rallies and line dancing.
    Last edited by diffusionx; 11 May 2005 at 03:33 PM.

3. Man, You just had to bring me into this somehow. Still I am confused which series Diff talking about, Matrix or Blade?

On the side note, Diff apparently liked Phantom Menace, and then he tries to speak of my lack of taste. Go figure.

Anyway, I also blame Goyer for both inept script and bad direction of Trinity. If he only stuck with the early concepts for the film set in future with Vamps conqered and esnlaved humans. Oh well.

At least they should bring someone in who can fight and do action, like Michael Jai White. Still, I am sure that tv film, and series will end up sucking.

4. Damn it, Blade II kicked ass.

5. I have 1 and 2, I'm happy with that.

I'll have to agree on that friday the 13th bit, cause I remember watching and without jason, that show looked like nothing but shit to me.
    "Your soul better belong to Jesus, mmm-mmmmm..... cause your ass belongs to me!"

6. Blade 1 is one of my favorite movies of all time. Blade 2 wasn't as good, but I still enjoyed it. Trinity was pretty crappy.

Quote Originally Posted by voltz
    I'll have to agree on that friday the 13th bit, cause I remember watching and without jason, that show looked like nothing but shit to me.
    It's been years since I've seen it, but it actually wasn't a bad show from what I remember. But it was stupid to call it Friday the 13th if it had no connection to the movies at all.

Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

7. Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    As for the whole lawsuit thing, I know Wesley has a rep as being difficult to work with, but I gotta side with him on this. It's totally David Goyer's fault (both as writer and director) that Blade: Trinity stumbled and didn't measure up at all to the first two movies.
    see i dont get this. if he thought the Sp was so bad, couldnt he have just not done the movie?

Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    It's been years since I've seen it, but it actually wasn't a bad show from what I remember. But it was stupid to call it Friday the 13th if it had no connection to the movies at all.
    yeah it was a pretty good show, but had nothing to do with the name.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Dragonmaster Dyne
    see i dont get this. if he thought the Sp was so bad, couldnt he have just not done the movie?
    There's usually a big difference between a script and how that script ends up when filmed and edited. Something that sounds good on paper might look like crap on the big screen and vice versa. Plus, thing are always changed and updated when filming, so a script is never final anyway.

I assume that Wesley probably took a look at the script, thought it sounded good in its rough form, and signed the contract (I'm sure a big fat paycheck had something to do with it as well). Then he saw how the movie was turning out and got pissed, as evidenced by the fact that he tried to choke Goyer to death on the set (+1 to Wesley), did absolutely no promotion for it when it was released in theaters, and barely has a presence in the DVD extras.
    Last edited by Dolemite; 12 May 2005 at 09:42 AM.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Dragonmaster Dyne
    yeah it was a pretty good show, but had nothing to do with the name.
    Weren't they after spooky artifacts or something? Like a scavenger-hunt themed Outer Limits or Twilight Zone kinda thing?

10. The thespian who portrayed the titular half-man, half-vampire bad-ass hero, is suing New Line Cinema and Goyer for $5 million, accusing them of breach of contract.

Snipes' suit contends that not only was he not given final approval over the script and director of Blade: Trinity as promised in his contract,
    Fucking A, he should sue. This movie was a mess, and I'm sure Wes saw that while making this and realized he'd fucked up signing on.Well, then again ...shouldnt he have started sueing them while the movie was being made? Why wait until it tanks THEN say, "Oh My Bad.I knew this movie was going to suck so I'm sueing all of you mofo's for it!"?

Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    evidenced by the fact that he tried to choke Goyer to death on the set (+1 to Wesley),
    Wait... did he really? I never heard that.....