Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making everything ok

1. Originally posted by Freeter

Only CvS2 is on PS2. KOF2K1 and GGXX have yet to be announced.
    Eolith announced KoF 2K1 for PS2 back in March, supposedly it should be out around July. Considering GG XX is basically the same game that's already out on PS2 with a few extra characters and backgrounds, its announcement on PS2 seems like a mere formality, wouldn't you say?
    -Kyo

2. Originally posted by gamevet
    I'm sure Treasure has a few 2-d games up their sleeves. Maybe a game like Stretch Panic has given them a reason, not to keep trying their hand with 3-d style games. Maybe the sequel to Radiant Silvergun will be the next great 2-d console game, if it's ever released.
    A new 2D Treasure game would make me do flips, but does anyone here see Treasure EVER doing a new all sprite 2D game ever again? Also, its been a long time since I've played it but, isn't Radiant Silvergun all polygons?

MechDeus, could you make your last paragraph clearer? I don't get what you're trying to say about the bosses and Samus' animation.
    pwned by Ivan

Johnny Guest
    GGX has shown what the current systems are capable of when it comes to 2D, and given enough time I'm sure we'll see more titles take advantage of the new hardware.

Visuals aren't everything though, and the simple play mechanics can still be found on the GBA. Hell many games look absolutely stunning on that little guy, and I don't think the industry has ever seen so many great 2D titles. Sure most aren't taking full advantage of what's available, but we're still better off then the 16bit gen.

Enjoy the GBA titles, buy a TV adapter if you must, and snag the odd console title for the eye candy. Really, things could be better for the 2D fans, but they could be much worse too.

4. Radiant Silvergun is mostly sprites for smaller enemies and the character ships, and the larger enemies, bosses, and levels are polygons.

Some of the bosses and Samus Aran in Super Metroid and C:SotN use sprite rotation and sectional areas. You'll notice Samus can rotate her upper half with some items (and it's a smooth rotation, not traditional drawn frames), and many of the bosses are divided into pieces (arms, body, head, etc.) so each piece can move independantly of the main body. It's provides a very smooth effect that allows for better aiming for the bosses as well as greater movement from them. Watch Mother Brain's beam attack for a nice example. In C:SotN, the giant thin green boss uses it (the one pictured on back of the case, I think the Olrox is it's name), as do one of two others.

It's something more games should use.

5. Originally posted by Green

A new 2D Treasure game would make me do flips, but does anyone here see Treasure EVER doing a new all sprite 2D game ever again? Also, its been a long time since I've played it but, isn't Radiant Silvergun all polygons?

Radiant Silvergun featured 2-d ships and bullets, with some 3-d backdrops. It still provided a great sprite showcase, with 3-d in the background.

6. Originally posted by MechDeus
    Radiant Silvergun is mostly sprites for smaller enemies and the character ships, and the larger enemies, bosses, and levels are polygons.

Some of the bosses and Samus Aran in Super Metroid and C:SotN use sprite rotation and sectional areas. You'll notice Samus can rotate her upper half with some items (and it's a smooth rotation, not traditional drawn frames), and many of the bosses are divided into pieces (arms, body, head, etc.) so each piece can move independantly of the main body. It's provides a very smooth effect that allows for better aiming for the bosses as well as greater movement from them. Watch Mother Brain's beam attack for a nice example. In C:SotN, the giant thin green boss uses it (the one pictured on back of the case, I think the Olrox is it's name), as do one of two others.

It's something more games should use.
    I gotcha. I remember reading in Gamefan about a Gundam 2D fighting game for PS that uses this technique so that these big Gundams can fight smoothly.
    pwned by Ivan

7. Originally posted by MechDeus
    Here's the thing: The GBA is great, and provides up with good 2D games. However, as I went on about before, we finally have the ability to toss around enough sprites on consoles to do giant sprite scaling and rotation with multi-segmented characters (not just bosses, but everything) and huge amounts of parralax and all sorts of high-quality sprites.

So what do we do? We get everything 2D on the one current system which can't do any of that. As soon as we have the ability to really take 2D to another level, it gets pushed aside and held back.
    Exactly.