Page 2 of 125 FirstFirst 1234616 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Nintendo Wii thread

1. Nintendo: Were not dead yet!
    “The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, you know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

2. Quote Originally Posted by IGN
    May 12, 2005 - The Electronics Entertainment Expo 2005 is still days away, but that hasn't stopped Microsoft from debuting its Xbox 360 console on MTV. And now Nintendo has followed suit, revealing some new, meaty details about its next-generation console, codenamed Revolution.

In a recent New York Times article, Nintendo of America's vice president of corporate affairs Perrin Kaplan describes the console as "very, very sleek." The system, which is reportedly tiny, will stand horizontally. Its height will reportedly be no more than three DVD cases stacked flatly on each other, or slightly more than an inch. That makes the console theoretically smaller than Apple's recently released Mac Mini computer.
    Although Nintendo has historically selected proprietary media formats, such as the GameCube Optical Disc, for its platforms, the publisher is with Revolution opting for a more standardized medium. The new console will play standard DVD media, according to the company. Nintendo has not yet revealed if Revolution will as a result be able to play Hollywood movies on DVD, but that seems very likely at this point.

At the Game Developers' Conference in March, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata said that Revolution would offer Wi-Fi online connections out of the box and would be backward compatible with GameCube, or able to play GCN software.

According to recent information, Revolution will also be able to play high-definition games and regularly go online.

Finally -- something of a no-brainer given the popularity of the Wave Bird pads -- Revolution's still-secret controller will be completely wireless. Controllers for Microsoft's Xbox 360 are also wireless. Upon hearing this news, puppies everywhere let out a collective cry.

More details to come at E3 2005. Stay tuned.

Wow, it sounds tiny.

Oops... Should have read the damn thing before I posted it

3. There's much more to Revolution that will be revealed over the coming months, but the combination of its compact size, wireless Internet, backward compatibility, quick start-up time and quiet, low-power operation add up to the start of a great game system.
    Oh my god!!! They added low-power operation!!! That's it. Microsoft is doomed.
    R.I.P. Paragon Studios

4. Go Nintendo. Now get some people to, I don't know, makes some games for your system.

Elder Scrolls IV looks like a good start!
    Oh, wait...
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

6. My only comment is they need a new PR person. You learn in intro to technical writing not to use negatives, and to not use variations of "be".

Nintendo, the world leader in video game innovation, stated loud and clear that they are not to be overlooked in the next generation
    So you are this generation, and you're already establishing yourself far from being first with that negative language.

will combine, will be, will play, will be, will be, will be, will be, will be, will be
    Good God. The way this whole thing is worded, it sounds like they're way behind and trying to catch up. And that hopefully, one day, they'll have a system that comes close to Microsoft and Sony. Use active verbs instead of passive. I know this sounds stupid and nitpicky, but the whole thing comes off to me as very defeated due to how they've worded it.

7. Quote Originally Posted by stormy
    They all take ques from each other. LAWLLL Zboz has wireless controllers! I don't see the compulsion to point out every tiny meaningless thing you can think of to put them down. These features are expected now so they're in there. If they weren't you'd be complaining about that, so try being a little more constructive.

(note from cka: edit != quote lol)
    I'm fairly sure that wireless controllers/networking are going to be in all 3 consoles this round through, since the technology has had time to prove itself. Frankly, I'll be surprised if Sony doesn't have wireless via Bluetooth or 802.11 or whatever.

oh god its too early

Maybe we'll see another company step in in a year or two with a system better suited to the title "Next Generation."
    Pete DeBoer's Tie

9. Quote Originally Posted by Cowutopia
    Maybe we'll see another company step in in a year or two with a system better suited to the title "Next Generation."
    Like who, Apple? iConsole? Did I say too much? Hmmmm?
    R.I.P. Paragon Studios

Infinium!
    Pete DeBoer's Tie