Page 1 of 125 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Nintendo Wii thread

Official Nintendo Wii thread

In a stunning response to Mircrosoft's incredibly public Xbox360 debut, Nintendo.com has placed a small article up on their site that talks a bit about their upcoming revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Nintendo.com
    Nintendo, the world leader in video game innovation, stated loud and clear that they are not to be overlooked in the next generation home console race with the revelation of several unique features of the company's next console system, code name Revolution, to key media outlets. According to the early information, Revolution will combine powerful technology and gaming-focused features in Nintendo's smallest home game console yet.

In its final form, Revolution will be about the thickness of three standard DVD cases and only slightly longer. The versatile Revolution will play either horizontally or vertically, allowing the user total flexibility in setting up a gaming session wherever they have a television.

Thanks to Nintendo's hardware development partners IBM and ATI, the small system will be packed with power that will enable it to wow players with its graphics. Nintendo's legions of loyal fans will be happy to learn that Revolution will be backward compatible, playing both Nintendo GameCube 3-inch disks along with its own standard, double-layered DVD disks in the same self-loading media drive.
    In the next generation, the addition of the Internet will be important to all consoles and particularly important to Nintendo. Revolution will be wireless Internet ready out of the box.

There's much more to Revolution that will be revealed over the coming months, but the combination of its compact size, wireless Internet, backward compatibility, quick start-up time and quiet, low-power operation add up to the start of a great game system. Get ready for the Nintendo Revolution in 2006!

So we know a bit more, but I'm concerned about this size. I'd hazard a guess that the "4 core" rumour that was circulating is flat-out unreasonable if it's going to be roughly the size of dvd case.

I also find it amusing that the "World leader in video game [gimmicks]" is finally hopping on not only the internet bandwagon, but the vertical/horizontal bandwagon. Nice.

Source.
    Last edited by Cowutopia; 13 May 2005 at 02:16 PM.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

2. Nintendo, the world leader in video game innovation, stated
    LAWWWL!

Apparently, their idea of innovation is stealing the vertical orientation, backwards compatibility, and DVD media (instead of a stupid custom format) from Sony, and built-in internet from Microsoft.

Holy fucking innovative.

3. Well Apple packed a lot of power into the Mac mini, so maybe Nintendo is aiming for similar asthetics. Just because it's small doesn't mean it will be underpowered.

Agreed on the innovative thing, though. More like they were finally dragged, kicking and screaming, into the 21st century.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    K3V is awesome!

It IS a step in the right direction. Maybe they're tired of having their heads stuck up their asses.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

5. Well, you have to admit, at least they're getting up to speed now.

6. They all take ques from each other. LAWLLL Zboz has wireless controllers! I don't see the compulsion to point out every tiny meaningless thing you can think of to put them down. These features are expected now so they're in there. If they weren't you'd be complaining about that, so try being a little more constructive.

(note from cka: edit != quote lol)
    Last edited by cka; 13 May 2005 at 03:49 PM.

7. stormy, I want companies to steal good ideas from each other, thats how they get better. But if youre gonna do that dont call yourself the world's leader in innovation. At least Sony knows they rip everybody off.

8. Well, based on stuff like the VB and DS, they could be the world leader in innovation.

Just, you know, not necessarily good innovation.

9. There are alot of people out there that still believe Nintendo invented alot of shit ... so maybe they just buy thier own BS.

Nintendo will be the biggest mystery at E3. I wonder if they are going to lie low? Or try to steal some thunder away from the others.

10. Cool, a year behind and a few features short.