Page 1 of 9 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: "The day Sony launches [the new PlayStation], and they walk right into Halo 3."

1. "The day Sony launches [the new PlayStation], and they walk right into Halo 3."

Halo 3 parrying PlayStation 3 launch

Time quotes Bill Gates saying Sony's next-gen console will "walk into" the Xbox 360 follow-up to the best-selling sci-fi shooter.

For months, the Web was rife with rumors that Microsoft would ship the sequel to Halo 2 for the Xbox 360 simultaneously with the launch of the PlayStation 3. Now, that has been confirmed--by none other than Bill Gates himself.

In next week's issue of Time Magazine--which features Gates holding the Xbox 360 on the cover--Gates mentioned plans for the release of the much-anticipated follow-up to the best-selling console shooter. In a parenthetical sidebar in the article, Time says the following:

"Note to the hard-core faithful: the next version of Halo will not, repeat not, be ready in time for the launch of Xbox 360. It will be part of the all-important second wave next spring. 'It's perfect,' Gates says, radiant with bloodlust. 'The day Sony launches [the new PlayStation], and they walk right into Halo 3.'"

While Microsoft reps were not available for comment as of press time, Gates' comments appear to confirm the theory that Microsoft will release Halo 3 either simultaneously or near the release of Sony's next-gen console. It also marks further official confirmation that a third Halo is indeed in the works, and will be released for the Xbox 360.

Although such statements might be interpreted as grandstanding, such a maneuver definitely would have an impact. Halo 2 sold over 6.5 million copies to date, and is credited with doubling the subscriber base of Xbox Live from around 750,000 to over 1.5 million. It is also credited by industry-watchers as one of the main reasons for boosting sales of the original Xbox last holiday season.

Credit: GameSpot.com

I'm sure most of you like me heard about the possible Halo 3 being released on the lanuch day of PS3 earlier this year, but now it seems like its a reality. This is obviously a very smart marketing strategy and this will really hurt the PS3 sales.

I'm just curious, if PS3 were to launch this year, how would Halo 3 be released? I'm sure Microsoft wouldn't want a rushed game out. I guess you could say this pressures Sony into releasing the PS3 as soon as possible, possibly making it impossible to release the Halo 3 on the same day unless it was rushed.

And so, the war begins with Microsoft taking the first big shot at Sony. Maybe Sony can launch another GTA on the day of release of the Xbox 360? Ignoring the fact that Rockstar said they won't release anymore GTAs on the PS2.

2. Smooth way to spoil things, Bill.

3. What a cunt.
    Quick zephyrs blow, vexing daft Jim.

4. Maybe this time people will learn not to buy a PS at launch.

Except the PSP, that was probably the best U.S. hardware launch in a while.
    All is well.

5. Stupid.

6. i dont remember exactly where i read this, but isnt PS3 launching with a GTA? Onward with the rushed whored out seriesssssssssss

7. i don't think Sony is too afraid. One game isn't going to stop people from buying a PS3.

8. Halo released with critical bugs in it? No way that will happen!