Page 3 of 60 FirstFirst 12345717 ... LastLast

Thread: New Hip-hop Thread

1. I was in the break room at work yesterday and glanced at the tv to a surprise. On good morning america they had Common on there performing live. What was really embarrassing about it was after he was done Regis Spillman(sp?) was trying to act like he liked it and was down with this "rap" thing.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Brisco Bold
    FOR RICH: I bought the new Common today. It's sex on plastic.

I love you, Kanye.
    How'd you know my name is Rich?

And yeah, it's really good.
    I thought you were gay.... i guess not.

3. I really have to stop buying albums produced by DJs; the beats are ridiculously mediocre.

Mix Master Mike's albums (with the exception Eye of the Cyklops) are some of the worst things I've ever heard. The scratching is off beat (!!!) and when a good song comes on, he absolutely butchers it by throwing in some weird ass sample. Even his mix cd (Spin cycle?) was terrible. His live set and studio sets sound like they're produced by two different people.

DJ Craze: All I can remember is that I hated it.

A-Trak: Actually, he can produce really well.

DJ Quik: Just fucking shoot me. Why doesn't he just concentrate on his perm?

Carl Cox: The shittiest of the shittiest techno ever. Beats sound like he made them on his Psone.

X-ecutioners: Okay beats, a lot of filler.

Yes, I know there are exceptions (Q-Bert, Shadow, Cut Chemist, etc); I'm just annoyed and irrational right now.

What started this rant? I bought Z-Trip's album today and I'm bored out of my fucking mind. This is confusing because his live sets are amazing! I figured he'd make music similar to what he plays. I'm going to listen to it a few more times.
    Last edited by Brisco Bold; 03 Jun 2005 at 06:41 PM.

4. Mixmaster mike is just fruity like that so is Q-bert. In that scratch dvd they were both scratching up funny noises. Mike was talking about making the beastie boys rap over chickens. Q-bert was scratching burping and farting noises in a live jam but he warps it so you can't really even tell untill he lets the sound loose to play.

Craze has another project with one of his partners, I forgot the name of the project, but I think its more Drum N bass sounding. Only thing I have of his is a bonus dj mix disc that comes with the Adam F-Chaos remix cd.

I only have some short dj tracks from A-trak on the Canadian hip hop compilation cd.

X cutioners never really dazzled me and really lost me with that linkin park collab. I do have some of their older stuff which is alright.

That Z-trip album has its up and downs. I like that track with the guy from J5, that one downtemp track with the old organ solo is my favorite. The song with whipper whip and Lyrics born are old school party jams. I think there is maybe 1 or 2 other songs I like. I think most of the tracks represent what he's into. I hear him spin alot of old party jams from back in the day. He toured with linkin park so that explains that one LP song. He also seems to spin a lot of lyrics born tracks/accappellas. Z-trip also seems to be a huge anti-war supporter and sometimes puts that message in his sets and it comes through in some of his album tracks.

Have you heard Z-trip live in L.A mix set?

5. Quote Originally Posted by Rtificial
    Mixmaster mike is just fruity like that so is Q-bert. In that scratch dvd they were both scratching up funny noises. Mike was talking about making the beastie boys rap over chickens. Q-bert was scratching burping and farting noises in a live jam but he warps it so you can't really even tell untill he lets the sound loose to play.
    I know, but what Mix Master Mike does seems to fly in the face of musical convertion. It's unlistenable at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Rtificial
    Craze has another project with one of his partners, I forgot the name of the project, but I think its more Drum N bass sounding. Only thing I have of his is a bonus dj mix disc that comes with the Adam F-Chaos remix cd.
    I might give Craze another chance. He's more sane than MMM.

I only have some short dj tracks from A-trak on the Canadian hip hop compilation cd.
    You talking about the cd with a lot of Obscure Disorder tracks that's mixed by DJ Craze?

Have you heard Z-trip live in L.A mix set?
    No...

6. Okay, so I listened to Z-Trip again. It's not that bad. I was just hoping for more.

7. Nope I'm talking about some compilation cd from this hip hop/graffiti magazine under pressure.

I have that Z-trip live in LA mix bootleg if you want it. After listening to it you may see some of the influence for his artist album. Plus the bootleg is pretty high quality and rocks.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Rtificial
    Nope I'm talking about some compilation cd from this hip hop/graffiti magazine under pressure.

I have that Z-trip live in LA mix bootleg if you want it. After listening to it you may see some of the influence for his artist album. Plus the bootleg is pretty high quality and rocks.
    I totally want it.

9. Just hit me up on AIM under the sn "pro death raver" and I'll send it to you.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Brisco Bold
    I really have to stop buying albums produced by DJs; the beats are ridiculously mediocre.

DJ Quik: Just fucking shoot me. Why doesn't he just concentrate on his perm?

Come on man are you serious? And yes pick up that MED album it's nice Jay Dee, Madlib and even Just Blaze on production.