Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 25 years...How far have games come?

1. Question 25 years...How far have games come?

25 years ago this was videogame boxing:

25 years later, this is videogame boxing:

http://c.streamingmovies.ign.com/ps2...ght_wmvlow.wmv

Question is: Are you surprised or disappointed with how far the industry has come? Did you ever think games would be this realistic only 25 years later -or- did you expect actual photo realism?
    Thoughts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Boxing.gif 
Views:	380 
Size:	4.2 KB 
ID:	15523   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fnr3.jpg 
Views:	788 
Size:	190.5 KB 
ID:	15524  

2. Its actually pretty amazing how far games have come. The games I play today are the type of games I imagined playing when I was a kid. Like GTA3, free-roaming, do-anywhere type stuff, or WOW, huge multiplayer world with quests and interaction (and, to a lesser extent, UO when I played that).

3. When you compare 2600 graphics to PS2 graphics, you can clearly see how far graphics have come. Yet people are still able to complain about how crappy some PS2 games look.

4. Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    Its actually pretty amazing how far games have come. The games I play today are the type of games I imagined playing when I was a kid. Like GTA3, free-roaming, do-anywhere type stuff, or WOW, huge multiplayer world with quests and interaction (and, to a lesser extent, UO when I played that).
    Totally agree. I am the same, the games we play today are the games I dreamed of when I was in 3rd grade. Back then I never thought it would be possible. 10 years ago I would have thought something to the scale of GTA3 was 20 years off.

5. It's only a matter of time until games require a new display medium to engage gamers around the world. What do you think? Immersive, psuedo-virtual reality games that take place on "Holo-decks" or at least Holographic display panels could be as little as a decade away considering the sheer stride media tech has been hitting for the past few years.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Keres
    When you compare 2600 graphics to PS2 graphics, you can clearly see how far graphics have come. Yet people are still able to complain about how crappy some PS2 games look.
    Today I think complaints about graphics are more an apple to apple comparison amongst the current generation games/systems, rather than people saying graphics are crappy in general.

Quote Originally Posted by TrialSword
    It's only a matter of time until games require a new display medium to engage gamers around the world. What do you think? Immersive, psuedo-virtual reality games that take place on "Holo-decks" or at least Holographic display panels could be as little as a decade away considering the sheer stride media tech has been hitting for the past few years.
    10 years ago VR was flat-out silly. 10 years from now it is probably amazing.

7. Graphically it has come a long ways. Gameplay ... not as great a leap.

There is so much focus on "unlocking" things and collecting in todays games that it can hardly be called better gameplay. You just need to look at the success of Katamari to see that people want simpler control and design concepts surrounded by unique art.

I think controllers have been the biggest advancement in gaming. They are comfortable, sturdier and more responsive than ever before. With all these extra buttons, developers have done a pretty good job in "guiding" the user on all of a games features while playing the game. In the past, you practically had to memorize the controls before even enjoying the game.

Pretty much every thing I wanted to see as a kid has happened:

More 3d games
    More games with free form design and object interactivity
    More adult oriented content
    Home gaming dominating over arcade gaming

One thing I expected but never happened was with controllers. I thought they would evolve into something much different but we still use a variation of the joysticks and control pads of the past.

I also thought because of all the advancements this would render most past games obsolete but it isn't the case. There are hundreds of old games I still play and love because their gameplay holds up. We have the best of both worlds: new experiences advancing gaming yet classic games with different design styles still being enjoyable.

9. Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater
    We have the best of both worlds: new experiences advancing gaming yet classic games with different design styles still being enjoyable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxic
    You just need to look at the success of Katamari to see that people want simpler control and design concepts surrounded by unique art.
    I agree NeoZeedeater. We do have the best of both world. Example: GTA and Katamari. Unfortunately I feel the Katamari's are way too far and few between. I wish more orignal games with simple controls and simple gameplay would pop up. It's kinda hard to explain what I'm looking for. I still enjoy some of the most simple games today; Circus Atari, Smash TV, etc. You could probably through alot of the old beat 'em up in there too (nice to see them making the comeback ).

10. Quote Originally Posted by Keres
    When you compare 2600 graphics to PS2 graphics, you can clearly see how far graphics have come. Yet people are still able to complain about how crappy some PS2 games look.
    That isn't PS2. Pay attention of you will have to sit outside.