Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: sonic advance vs original sonic games

1. Sonic sonic advance vs original sonic games

all this talk about sonic and collections and crappy games got me thinking. i really loved the original sonic games on the ol' genny. after that, though things kinda went south for me. never liked the game gear games that much. never played sonic cd back in the day either. i didn't mind the dreamcast games but i never got to play them for myself. when sonic advance came onto the scene i was a little aprehensive about the whole deal. didn't think it'd live up to the original. sonic adv 1 and 2 came and went and i never gave a second thought to playing them. but recently a friend of mine picked up a used copy of sonic adv 3. i borrowed thinking i'd be disapointed but the total opposite happened. it's seriously one of the best 2d sonics i've ever played. the stages are great and the music is just as good if not better in some cases than the original games. the bonus stages are a lot tougher than they used to be as well. i've been trying to track down a copy of sa2 but no luck so far. i hear the first one was just ok but i'd like to know what you guys think of the series.

I had a lot of fun with Sonic Advanced, I think it's great.

Never played 2 or 3, but I heard bad things about 2 =/
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

3. I liked 2 and hated 3. I havent played the first one enough to be able to tell if I like it.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Mzo
    I had a lot of fun with Sonic Advanced, I think it's great.

Never played 2 or 3, but I heard bad things about 2 =/
    2 was better than 1 but still sucky compared to the originals.

5. Like Mzo, I've only played the first SA. I'd put it above Sonic 3 and S&K, but below the original and Sonic 2. I love the graphic style in it, although the character models are below the originals in some ways, which is a shame since the BGs are such massive improvements.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

I love the first Sonic Advanced, and really need to get around to buying the next 2. The NGPC Sonic is king though!
    To boldly go where lots of men have gone before...

7. I have Sonic Advance and SAdva2.

Sonic Advance brings me back memories of Sonic the Hedgehog. It goes back to basics and is almost as charming. It also has a lot of replay value in the chaos emeralds. I liked that to get to the special stages, you had to really learn the layout of the levels and explore. The music is reminiscent of old 16 bit style too, with the same composer as the original Sonics. So that's definitely a plus.

Sonic Advance 2, on the other hand, is way more about speed. It's more about pressing Right on the D-pad the entire stage than actually playing with precision. Sure you still need to get to know the layouts of levels, and the levels are really that much bigger. But I felt it's just more tedious overall, and not what I look for in a platformer. It's competent but in the end, I just don't enjoy SAdva2. Yet every review generally says it's better than the first. Not for me. Then again, I never really liked Sonic the Hedgehog 2 either.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Vasteel
    I love the first Sonic Advanced, and really need to get around to buying the next 2. The NGPC Sonic is king though!
    hm. i thought the ngpc sonic was boring.

9. Sonic Advance is the best because it doesn't operate under the delusion that Sonic is all about speed (which it never was, even if the marketing indicated otherwise). 2 and 3, on the other hand, are ALL about speed, so Sonic controls like crap in both of them, making accurate jumps an absolute bitch because he's so floaty, and a good portion of both games really consists of nothing more than holding down right (in the first level of the second zone in Advance 2, you can complete the level by holding right and jumping twice, both times when you hit a wall). They're every bad thing people say about the series made true.

10. The games are very good platformers and hold their own to the originals, I just don't see why the sprites aren't more detailed. The Genny Sonics have much better graphics and bigger, more colorful sprites.