View Poll Results: What Kind of Player are you? (Read descriptions in the post before voting.)

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sloppy

12 32.43%
  • Precise

23 62.16%
  • Neither (post and explain what you do)

2 5.41%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pushing Buttons: Intelligent Solutions for Ambiguous Player Controls.

1. Yes, this was an excellent article. I have been reading GD for about 2 years now and there is at least one excellent article per issue even if about half of the magazine is worthless to me. This link may or may not still work:
    http://www.gdmag.com/freeyear

Anyways, I would have to say I am closer to sloppy although it is more of a mix. I am also one of those freaks that uses their fingers to play fighters when I have to play on a pad. I am slowly learning to not do that, but I am so use to certain fingers hitting certain buttons for combos from arcade controllers. Really it depends on the game, I would just have to say that 65% of the time it is sloppy style.

2. Quote Originally Posted by animegirl
    I am a precise player I suppose. Does anybody else use their index fingers to press buttons when playing fighting games? It makes it more like the arcade, and makes it easier to pull off combos. Everybody that has seen me play that way says it's weird though.
    i play the same way. my pointer finger is on square and x and middle finger on triangle and O. i dont know how people can play fighting games with their thumb.

3. This article proves that when game designers look at design from a more scientific perspective, analyzing the situation and problems closely and not saying "they just dont get it" or "its art" it can lead to some fantastic results. The reason why THPS succeeded and all those damn skateboarding games coming out in 1999 didnt was most likely because Neversoft put this work and research into the control while those guys didnt.

4. I guess i am precise but i have a pretty small hand and sometimes i change the way i grab the controller
    http://img40.echo.cx/img40/4992/reconsig011dq.gif

"An evil entity on this KoF tournament? Sounds like Monday..."
    Av & Tag set by shinryuuken

5. Sloppy usually with a tendency to switch to precise when needed.

6. depends on the game. Sloppy for stuff that needs quick changes in button presses, mostly racers. Precise for adventure games and slower paced stuff.

7. I find most of the time my right thumb rests on the right analog stick to control the camera in most of my games, or to aim in FPS. From there I suppose I'm a mix and precisie depending on the situation like say when you need to jump and reload at the same time it just makes sense to hit both weapons with one finger rather than hitting them one at a time.

D

8. I vary it based on the game. 2-d Fighting games and shooters, I'm precise even on the pad. 3-d fighters, I'm sloppy on control pads. NES platformers I play like Astro Blue. I think I usually start with precise and then change as I find it doesn't get the job done.

9. Neo-Geo

Quote Originally Posted by animegirl
    I am a precise player I suppose. Does anybody else use their index fingers to press buttons when playing fighting games? It makes it more like the arcade, and makes it easier to pull off combos. Everybody that has seen me play that way says it's weird though.
    How do you press the L and R buttons? i used to config the controllers on SNES fighters with Weak punches and kicks on the LR, but then i realized that this are far more important than Mediums, so i switched them.
    http://img40.echo.cx/img40/4992/reconsig011dq.gif

"An evil entity on this KoF tournament? Sounds like Monday..."
    Av & Tag set by shinryuuken

They're all important. Jabs and shorts for ticks and to lead into supers, strongs and forwards to two-in-one into combos and supers, fierces and roundhouses to punish, combo from, etc.

If there are six face buttons, playing like animegirl makes total sense. If not, you're fucked.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery