Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stupid Indonesian courts sentence Australian woman to 40 years.

1. I saw the story today too.

They tried bringing up how they gave the guy responisble for a nightclub bombing 2 years in prison while she got the 40 years for smuggling pot. I think it's fucked up but yeah, it's Indonesia. She was fucked from day one.

The Aussie prime minister was like "well, she's resposible for whatever she does outside our borders. There's nothing I can do. KTHXBYE!"
    "Chuy, you're going to have a magical life. Because no matter where you go, it's always going to be better than Tucson."

2. Well, if we can't judge the country's laws then let me make a blanket statement- 9 pounds of weed doesn't equal 40 years hard time. Guilty as hell or an utter angel, there's no way she earned 40 years.

James

Quote Originally Posted by Revoltor
    I saw the story today too.

They tried bringing up how they gave the guy responisble for a nightclub bombing 2 years in prison while she got the 40 years for smuggling pot. I think it's fucked up but yeah, it's Indonesia. She was fucked from day one.

The Aussie prime minister was like "well, she's resposible for whatever she does outside our borders. There's nothing I can do. KTHXBYE!"
    This woman's an Aussie? Man her country is gay. The US would go to war over some shit like this. "You are obviously making the charges up as a way of spitting in the face of America. America will not stand for such an obvious agressive act. Release this woman or we will be forced to take action. Weopons of Mass destruction, terror, code red, blah blah blah."

4. 1. She got 20 years and a $AU14,000 fine.

2. As an Australian, I can tell you there is more to this story than just the "stupid" indonesian courts. Think of it this way: for a very long time Indonesia has been fucked up by corruption, and for a very long time Australians have been "abusing" this corruption by using Bali as a place to get fucked up on cheap beer, sex and drugs. To combat this, Indonesia and most neighbouring countries have really strict drugs laws to prevent their country from being FURTHER corrupted by drugs and such. Yet deadshits still try to smuggle drugs and stuff in and out.

This is the best possible outcome for both sides. If she got the death penalty, Australians would have wanted to fuck up Indonesia, and if she was freed, Indonesians would have wanted to fuck up Australia. I'm sure this sentence has more to do with Susilo and John Howard not wanting their countries to break out in riots, than the evidence at hand. It was a compromise.

Go type "Bali Nine" into google.
    Last edited by AstroBlue; 27 May 2005 at 10:16 PM.
    Quick zephyrs blow, vexing daft Jim.

5. The Indonesian bomber only got 2 years?!

Criminy!

And thanks for the interesting info, Astro.

EDIT: and oh yeah, I just got done reading up on the bali9. Too bad this gal apparently got caught up in this mess.

*makes mental note to never have his future honeymoon or vacation in Bali, Thailand, Singapore no matter how tropical or "exotic" they are as locales.
    Last edited by 1CCOSA; 27 May 2005 at 10:26 PM.

6. Well, the terrorist who bombed the night club was a radical Islamic fundamentalist and... yea. You connect the dots.

7. Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    Well, the terrorist who bombed the night club was a radical Islamic fundamentalist and... yea. You connect the dots.
    Yeah, that and this case obviously proves the country hates outsiders.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Dylan1CC
    Yeah, that and this case obviously proves the country hates outsiders.
    You mean, hates non-Muslims.

9. Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    You mean, hates non-Muslims.
    Exactly.

10. Balinese are Hindu.

EDIT: Schapelle's judge is Christian.
    Last edited by AstroBlue; 27 May 2005 at 10:58 PM.
    Quick zephyrs blow, vexing daft Jim.