Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12346 ... LastLast

Thread: Why fur should be banned.

Quote Originally Posted by Six
    Can't we spend our time thinking about humans that are being beaten and murdered before we start attacking the fur trade? Don't like it? Don't buy it. If enough people care the furriers will go out of business.
    True x 1000
    Quote Originally Posted by flux=rad
    Shit I thought we were talking about furries here. Furries should be banned from life. They should just get them all and put them to sleep. Like euthanize them I mean, not like putting them to bed with a bedtime story.
    True x 1000000

2. I love it when people think as if prohibiting a practice by law automatically makes the trade dissappear.
    ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA

3. Quote Originally Posted by fiend_of_rejections
    I love it when people think as if prohibiting a practice by law automatically makes the trade dissappear.
    Dude, go finish listening to that Nine Inch Nails album, the adults are discussing something now.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Tallarico
    Why should we ban fur? The animals did nothing wrong. We should ban people. They were the ones doing the beatings.
    I'm guessing you were trying to be funny. I'm not laughing after seeing that one creature being skinned alive. It's one thing to wear leather made from cattle, as they also provide meat, but these creatures are being killed just so some jackass can have a fur coat or mittons.

5. They're not normally skinned alive. Remember, this is PETA... they don't bother to show the thousands of humane slaughterhouses in the world, they just show the worst and claim that it represents the majority of them.

Also remember that they're completely against using animals for medical testing. They're nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by sethsez
    PETA supports the ALF (Animal Liberation Front, not the alien who likes to eat cats).

The ALF relies heavily on violence, vandalism, and threats made to individuals to carry out their plans. Burning down buildings or stalking people and threatening them is par for the course.
    The ALF under no circumstances uses violence. It's in their charter or whatever, as it goes against the idea of animal rights. Vandalism, breaking and entering, arson, etc. are all fair game though. There are other groups, such as the Justice League(not Batman and Friends) who do use violence and the ALF is blamed.
    Just because a group operates illegally does not make them violent.
    While I have some issues with PETA (why not attack the leather industry at the same time, for example), most of what they are saying are not outright lies, except in the PR releases of the companies they attack. That video was actually a lot tamer than what usually occurs on fur farms however.
    To boldly go where lots of men have gone before...

7. Quote Originally Posted by Vasteel
    The ALF under no circumstances uses violence. It's in their charter or whatever, as it goes against the idea of animal rights.
    Usually when their members commit acts of violence (and this does happen) the ALF washes their hands with the ever-handy "no true scotsman" argument. I don't buy it.

They're not normally skinned alive. Remember, this is PETA... they don't bother to show the thousands of humane slaughterhouses in the world, they just show the worst and claim that it represents the majority of them.

Also remember that they're completely against using animals for medical testing. They're nuts.
    They're almost ALWAYS skinned alive.
    And it is absolute idiocy to use animals for medical testing 80% of the time. Most organic chemists will tell you the same thing.

Usually when their members commit acts of violence (and this does happen) the ALF washes their hands with the ever-handy "no true scotsman" argument. I don't buy it.
    I'm unaware of any incidents where they have used violence since they first showed up in England, but I do know that the work of other groups that do use violence is often on record by police, media, etc. as being ALF.

9. PETA makes me want to buy a fur coat and set it on fire; and sponsor a vegetarian.

Enough with the knee-jerk reactions. Showing the worst of a trade thats primary purpose isn't animal suffering is dishonest and wrong. This is like showing animal cruelty in an animal testing lab where they are trying to cure AIDS, and the norm isn't cruelty. For all I know most fur-traders and makers put the animals to sleep and don't skin them alive like the sadists in that movie. Don't let that little clip be your idea of animal byproducts. Reading "Fast Food Nation" would have you believe that companies go out of their way to make animals suffer as much as possible while making the worst food that they can. Make up your mind for yourself, but don't throw out the baby with the bathwater. +5 point for silly cliche at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasteel
    They're almost ALWAYS skinned alive.
    More info please.

And it is absolute idiocy to use animals for medical testing 80% of the time. Most organic chemists will tell you the same thing.
    More info please.

I would appreciate info that isn't skewed, but there is little chance of that being this is the internet.

I plead ignorance of in-depth knowledge of this specific subject, but I can't stand using shocking images to try to scare/scar people into going along with your beliefs. THAT is truly wrong in my opinion.

PS: Did you guys hear about that story in England where the man and woman were coming out of a Library or something, the woman wearing a fur coat? Like three animal rights activists poured red paint on them both, and the woman's man friend kicked the shit out of them. They let him off because pouring paint on somebody is considered "assualt". I wish they caught that on video. The best part is, it wasn't even real fur, it was synthetic. Heh.

Quote Originally Posted by Master
    I would appreciate info that isn't skewed, but there is little chance of that being this is the internet.
    Without going too deeply into specifics, most vivisection is a scam industry that provides a nice tax shelter for the companies that lobby for its existance. The physiological differences between the different species are simply far too significant for things like mandatory Lethal Dose 50 tests(see results between rats, gerbils, etc.) to be credible. The people who work in these labs are usually unqualified, etc, and have been known to do things like falsify results or administer tests incorrectly. And the animal testing process delays important treatments from becoming available by as much as 15 years. Chemicals tested perfectly safe on animals are often devastating to humans. I'll hit you up with some links when I'm not being lazy.