Thread: How do i setup a repeater to work with my access point?

1. Question How do i setup a repeater to work with my access point?

i'll try to make this as simple as possible. i have a Dlink access point hooked to my PCs network card(PCI acard) that access point IP is 192.168.0.2 and the network card is 192.168.0.1, my wireless laptop can detect it and is working fine with surfing the net and all, my laptop IP is 192.168.0.3

now, i have another Dlink aceess point, which i can configure to act as a wireless repeater to extend the range. I have plugged the repeater access point to my PC and configured it to "Repeater" mode. I have given it an IP of 192.168.0.4 it also asked me for the MAC address which i have entered(it's located on the sticker at the bottom of that access point/repeater). I apply the changes, unpluged it from the PC, placed it somwhere in the house(where i get a low signal from the first access point), when i scan for wireless connection using my laptop, it only picks up the first access point which is in my bedroom! :confused while the repeater is sitting right next to my laptop and hooked up to the electricity(only).

am i missing anything here? why isnt it picking up the repater? this whole thing is driving me BALLISTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Step one: Put on your cowboy hat.
    Step two: Put this in the right forum.
    o_O

3. Step Three: shut the fuck up cuz this is the right forum.

4. ok, i got to work fine now....finally!

another question though, my PC is connected to a wireless access point, then i have a repeater in another room, then a wireless bridge which hooks up to the xbox with a network cable....does this by anychance slow the connection since it has to go through all of those points?(aceesspoint, then repeater, then wireless bridge)? i noticed that when i turn on XBL, it takes a good 30 seconds to log on, as opposed to when it was wired it took 10seconds max.

Do you ever do anything yourself without asking advice on here?
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Cowutopia
    Do you ever do anything yourself without asking advice on here?

no....but can you post pictures of yourself naked please?

7. Quote Originally Posted by marwan
    ok, i got to work fine now....finally!

another question though, my PC is connected to a wireless access point, then i have a repeater in another room, then a wireless bridge which hooks up to the xbox with a network cable....does this by anychance slow the connection since it has to go through all of those points?(aceesspoint, then repeater, then wireless bridge)? i noticed that when i turn on XBL, it takes a good 30 seconds to log on, as opposed to when it was wired it took 10seconds max.
    Wireless is slower, yes. Though, should it be THAT slow? Dunno.

8. Quote Originally Posted by ChaoofNee
    Wireless is slower, yes. Though, should it be THAT slow? Dunno.

yah i figured, and i also think the more points the connection goes through, the slower it is.

i wish i could get my PC and game consoles wired instread of all this wireless business.(PC in my room, videogames in living room. 3-4 concrete walls in between)