Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 1234616 ... LastLast

Thread: The HDTV Thread

1. Quote Originally Posted by Hot Like Wasabi
    Any one have experience with this one? I've also been thinking about switching to HDTV soon so I'm in the market.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1099394446947
    Tube televisions are pretty nice, as they can give some awesome clarity and black levels, the only downside is - is that they're heavy as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Scourge
    They should run a couple of hundred or more cheaper. And the screen size is limitless, so it will be interesting to see what consumer products are turned out.
    Looks like I'm waiting then.

Awesome.
    Last edited by ∀ Narayan; 01 Jun 2005 at 12:49 PM.

2. Quote Originally Posted by U K Narayan
    Tube televisions are pretty nice, as they can give some awesome clarity and black levels, the only downside is - is that they're heavy as hell.
    And they require a power plant to operate.

3. I'm really looking to upgrade in the next year or so to HDTV, if I get the cash. It just makes sense. All I do is play video games and watch DVDs for the most part on my tv. I just hope they come down enough so I can afford a decent one.
    your mom

4. It's going to be between a DLP HDTV or a projector in 2006 for me. Prices should come down a bit then.
    R.I.P. Paragon Studios

5. Prices have been coming down for the past 5 years, and I would expect them to drop by 10-25% over the next year, but youre still gonna be paying around $1000 at the very minimum, and $2000+ for most.

6. The price changes aren't going to change drastically. A big screen HDTV is still going to run you somewhere in the $1500-2000 range like it has for years before HDTV. The only thing that is going to change will be the extra little features like DVI-inputs and what not.

Actually here is the model, I was personally looking at over the weekend. The base price was $1999. I had them down to 1709 but they wouldn't go down to $1600 like I wanted. Damn you Best Buy!!

65" Mitsubishi
    Finished Games of '09
    nothing at this time

7. Quote Originally Posted by Mr_B
    The price changes aren't going to change drastically. A big screen HDTV is still going to run you somewhere in the $1500-2000 range like it has for years before HDTV. The only thing that is going to change will be the extra little features like DVI-inputs and what not.

Actually here is the model, I was personally looking at over the weekend. The base price was $1999. I had them down to 1709 but they wouldn't go down to $1600 like I wanted. Damn you Best Buy!!

65" Mitsubishi
    We have one of these downstairs, except it's 55".

8. I got a 50" widscreen Samsung DLP HDTV about a year ago for $2600, and I've seen the 61" for that price now, so mine is much cheaper. DLP seems to be the best for gaming, because it's a constant bright, colorful picture, with no fading and no burn in. It has lots of inputs for you people with lots of older systems, but unfortunately only 3 component inputs. I just got a system selector for my component systems (PS2, GameCube, and Xbox) and all that was solved. There is also VGA input, so I use it for my computer monitor as well. There is DVI as well, but I have yet to use it (haven't wanted to spend the money, maybe when HD-DVD comes out). My guess is that if you don't want something that big, look for somewhere in the 30" range, and it could be much more affordable for you. It's worth every penny, as HD makes a big difference, whether you want to believe it or not.
    Check out my blog: ExHardcoreGamer.com

9. Does DLP have the same sort of longevity problems that plasma has?

Because Im starting to think its the way to go, at least among current tech.

10. Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    Does DLP have the same sort of longevity problems that plasma has?

Because Im starting to think its the way to go, at least among current tech.
    I came across this during my DLP research.

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.dlptvreview.com/dlptv-advantage.html

You can expect to use your DLP monitor in many capacities for many years to come.

The only element of the display that suffers from wear is the light source, which can be easily replaced--without much technical assistance--to obtain "like new" performance levels. They utilize very bright light sources, such as Metal Halide or Ultra High Performance bulbs that last between 8,000 and 10,000 viewing hours. The bulbs cost about $250. All of which makes DLPs inherently reliable: Even the most committed couch potatoes won't be able to "burn out" his or her TV. This could literally be the last television you'll ever buy!
    I might be leaning towards getting a HDTV projector because I might still be living in a small apartment and it won't do me any good placing a 48" TV in such cramp quarters.

I'm aware of the cost and am willing to spend under $3000, and if I play it smart, I'll have 1/2 if not 3/4 of that saved up by next year.
    R.I.P. Paragon Studios