Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst 12345717 ... LastLast

Thread: The HDTV Thread

1. Here's mine:
    57' Sony

My cable company (Time Warner) provided me with a free converter and cables upon request. I paid $1799 at Circuit City with free shipping (purchased online). They also run 12-18 month no financing on these TV's from time to time. It makes it very affordable to spread your payments of 150-180 dollars a month for the term of the deal.

2. Those financing deals are a scam. And Im not the type that likes scams.

BUT... what type of TV is that?

3. It's a rear projection. Those deals are only scams if you miss payments or you don't pay in time. Then they wack you with outrageous deferred APR charges.

4. Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    Those financing deals are a scam. And Im not the type that likes scams.

BUT... what type of TV is that?
    The 57 foot screen kind.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Scourge
    The 57 foot screen kind.

You're so finicky.

6. Quote Originally Posted by toxic
    It's a rear projection. Those deals are only scams if you miss payments or you don't pay in time. Then they wack you with outrageous deferred APR charges.
    Eh, it is a scam because the company ends up making more on putting away that cash on the side (with interest and what not) than they do if you pay outright. Like that first $150 payment turns into $160 or $170 at the end of the year, the second $150 payment turns into $157 or $168, and so forth. That money can add up in a similar manner, if you put it away like that.

It definitely adds up when tens of thousands of people are doing it. And its not like the TV is worth $1800 at the end of the year. So you end up giving the company more than $1800 for a TV that isnt worth $1800 at the end of the year. Sounds like a scam to me.

If you just flash cash in the beginning you can cut a deal, and not have to worry about it all.

... sorry. Im just a math person and I see stuff like this right away.

7. I don't see what you are saying. No cash until "X" is great. It's basically like a sale. You buy a 1500 dollar TV and pay 1500 at any time before X. That TV is cheaper at the end, sure, but you will have had it from the beginning. You win because your 1500 dollars can go to something else, and they win because they can put the hammer down on those that miss the deadline.

8. Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    Does DLP have the same sort of longevity problems that plasma has?

Because Im starting to think its the way to go, at least among current tech.
    No, that's why I think plasma sucks, and DLP is the way to go. DLP runs with a light bulb in it, so it always stays bright until it goes out (There's a light that warns you... and I've had it a year and have yet to have it go on me, and I use my TV a LOT). You just replace the bulb and it's good as new. If you don't get one of those extended warrenties (I did), the bulb is a couple hundred bucks, which is a lot better than buying a whole new Plasma TV again.

I constantly have friends over to play games for hours, or watch TV or whatever... we watched the Super Bowl, Wrestlemania, and a few other wrestling PPVs. We rent movies all the time. I have a DVR and watch TV all the time. My girlfriend and I watch lots of TV and rent movies. Winter time more than the Summer, obviously, since we DO have lives and go out hehe... but my point is that there are TONS of hours put on this TV (not to mention, I fall asleep with it on all the time, and i use it as my PC monitor), and I have yet to have to replace the bulb. I can't recomend it enough.

On a side note, the TV is just the screen with about 5 inches below it, not that whole stand like that, which for me was nice since I already had a TV stand with my systems, surround sound, cable box, and DVD player. So it all fits quite nicely.
    Check out my blog: ExHardcoreGamer.com

9. Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams
    I don't see what you are saying. No cash until "X" is great. It's basically like a sale. You buy a 1500 dollar TV and pay 1500 at any time before X. That TV is cheaper at the end, sure, but you will have had it from the beginning. You win because your 1500 dollars can go to something else, and they win because they can put the hammer down on those that miss the deadline.
    They just end up making more than $1500 off your money, and you end up spending more than $1500 if you adjust for inflation/depreciation.

Anyway, do whatever obviously. Its your money. But the company wouldnt be offering it if they didnt make them money (and every big store offers it, so it evidently makes them a lot of money), and Im not out to make the business more money. Straight cash for me. I know Im sounding like Kramer in the department store after reading the Commie literature but what can you do.

No, that's why I think plasma sucks, and DLP is the way to go. DLP runs with a light bulb in it, so it always stays bright until it goes out (There's a light that warns you... and I've had it a year and have yet to have it go on me, and I use my TV a LOT). You just replace the bulb and it's good as new. If you don't get one of those extended warrenties (I did), the bulb is a couple hundred bucks, which is a lot better than buying a whole new Plasma TV again.
    Yea I hear you.
    Last edited by diffusionx; 01 Jun 2005 at 05:40 PM.

10. I don't want to turn this into lameness, but I think the big stores make money off of it because the interest is huge after the 'free' period, and so if you were stupid enough and/or lost your job or something, you are going to pay a ton on top of that 1500.