Page 5 of 47 FirstFirst ... 34567919 ... LastLast

Thread: The HDTV Thread

1. I know JVC has a DILA set that works just like a DLP, but without a color wheel. You dont see the rainbow effect that way. I think some Panasonic TVs have a higher spin rate that gets rid of that effect too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I hear Balrog's moveset includes the Fried Chicken Right Cross, The Watermelon Wipeout Punch, and the Welfare Blaster.
    I SWEAR IF YOU BITCH ABOUT TWINSTICKS I WILL BREAK MY FOOT OFF IN YOUR ASS

2. CRTs are still the best in terms of picture quality. They don't get big--36" is the biggest I've seen recently--but nothing else matches their quality. Movies and regular TV look good on most set types, but I hate the way games look on LCDs, DLPs and plasmas. They have problems with viewing angles, contrasts, and pure blacks. I could appreciate a big projection TV for sports and movies, but when it comes to games anything less than CRT is annoyingly unsatisfactory.

3. Viewing angles! I was just poking my head back in after looking things up to ask about that. Ok, DLP is now scratched off the list of things I care about.

CRTs are huge and heavy, but for angle, color, and clarity I haven't seen them beat yet. I guess I'll be sticking to the old tech, unless I wait for 2007's nanotube revolution.

James
    Last edited by James; 02 Jun 2005 at 01:58 AM.

4. 2 years isn't too long. Apparently there's legislation being thrown around to make the switch more affordable.
    "Chuy, you're going to have a magical life. Because no matter where you go, it's always going to be better than Tucson."

5. Viewing angles? what do you mean? I personally think everything has looks miles better on my TV than anything else. My aunt and uncle got a 4x3 HDTV (ugh), and I was housesitting for them, and I believe it was tube based since it was pretty damn big in the back (I could be wrong though), and everything looked like shit. I could barely tell the picture was HD, it looked basically like a good digital source (like say, when I ordered Wrestlemania), and not the high def picture that it should have been. I got them PS2 component cables as a gift because I knew they didn't know any better, and the games, even in progressive scan, don't look that much better. Am I just missing something here? Not to sound defensive since it's what I own, but you're the only one that has dogged DLP at all, and everywhere I go, people have always said DLP is the way to go for gaming.

Side note, first time I saw an HDTV in someone's house is at a friend of mine's, and he had his xbox hooked up to it, and it didn't look any better either... again, 4x3 HDTV (what is wrong with people?). When I first played DOA on my TV, I noticed a difference immediately, but on these two 4x3 TVs, I felt like I was just looking at my old 27" TV, just bigger.
    Check out my blog: ExHardcoreGamer.com

6. More people should be concerned about hooking up their home theater speaker system instead.
    "Chuy, you're going to have a magical life. Because no matter where you go, it's always going to be better than Tucson."

7. TobalRox, here's a good breakdown of the different TV types with their weaknesses and strengths at Crutchfield.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Revoltor
    More people should be concerned about hooking up their home theater speaker system instead.
    Why do you say that? HDTVs involve a format that all TV is going to be broadcast in from now on, and people are required to make the switch... surround sound is not a requirement. Some people just do not have the room the have one, or not living in a place where they can take advantage of it. For example, if you live in an apartment, I don't think your neighbors will appreciate you blasting your movies through multiple channels, but they certainly won't care that your TV looks better (and is able to play the stuff broadcast).

I didn't get my surround sound system until 6 months after owning my HDTV, and if it wasn't for the fact that it was christmas, I would have had to wait even longer. It's nice, but not a requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRyan
    TobalRox, here's a good breakdown of the different TV types with their weaknesses and strengths at Crutchfield.
    Thanks... doesn't seem like the viewing angle is that much different... also, I have yet to have anyone complain about being able to see no matter where they sit in my setup, and we're talking a big room, so I think it'll be fine for most people.
    Check out my blog: ExHardcoreGamer.com

9. I love Crutchfield. I would never buy a thing there, but I love their site...

10. Quote Originally Posted by TobalRox
    stuff
    If a CRT-based TV (standard or rear projection) hasn't been properly calibrated, it'll look like crap. I have a couple discs of test patterns for this, and my favorite is Digital Video Essentials. It's not exactly rare, either... you can find it at Best Buy.