Page 1 of 47 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: The HDTV Thread

1. The HDTV Thread

Since Xbox 360 is coming out, Im sure most of us are looking at HDTVs. From what I gather, the technology has improved by leaps and bounds over the past few years, but there's a lot of technologies. So we can use this thread to discuss the different types, the different models, pros and cons, and so forth.

http://www.technologyreview.com/arti...405brandon.asp

Nano-Screens are the next big thing. So don't by your Xbox360 til 2007.

I was thinking of starting this thread as I drove into work this morning...I haven't done any research yet but what's the current lowest price group for decent HDTV's?
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Cowutopia
    I was thinking of starting this thread as I drove into work this morning...I haven't done any research yet but what's the current lowest price group for decent HDTV's?
    I've heard DLP projection tellevisions run pretty low, though, I'm probably wrong.

I have my eyes on a couple televisions, I'll post them later, as I'm in a bit of a rush right now.

It's funny, I'm 17 and I'm planning on buying an HDTV.

The best picture I've seen on any HDTV came from Sony and Panasonic rear-projection LCD's. They're too deep to be wall-mountable, but they're cheaper than flat-panels, smaller than traditional rear projection sets, and the picture is gorgeous.

I think early 2006 is when I'll finally be upgrading.

6. I was looking into getting a new tv as well. Did some reading on Plasma's, DLPs and LCDs and with new generation of plasmas, they look like a good choice.

New Panasonic plasmas (both HDTV/EDTV) have much better protection against burn-in, great picture and colors, and thin, compact size. I am still deliberating between true HDTV and EDTV, since most of the stuff that come in, like regular channels, dvds, etc, are not truly HDTV yet, and usually does look worse on HDTV than on EDTV. On the other hand, HDTV source stuff, looks better on HDTV than EDTV (about 10% improvement or so), and price range between two types is usually in $1000+

Any thoughts on this?

7. I think over the next 2 years we're gonna see TV stations move over a lot of their content to HDTV. So it might be smarter to future proof a TV and go with the full HDTV solution.

8. Any one have experience with this one? I've also been thinking about switching to HDTV soon so I'm in the market.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1099394446947

9. I'm waiting to see what the SED-types (Nanos, as Scourge mentioned) look like and price like. If they offer the picture quality of a CRT, high contrast ratio, and have very little burn-in risk, plus cost less than current HDTVs, I'll grab one of them. It will take that long to save up the money anyway.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Wolffen
    I'm waiting to see what the SED-types (Nanos, as Scourge mentioned) look like and price like. If they offer the picture quality of a CRT, high contrast ratio, and have very little burn-in risk, plus cost less than current HDTVs, I'll grab one of them. It will take that long to save up the money anyway.
    They should run a couple of hundred or more cheaper. And the screen size is limitless, so it will be interesting to see what consumer products are turned out.