Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Panasonic HD televisions being cleared out of Walmart?

1. Panasonic HD televisions being cleared out of Walmart?

I've noticed recently, that Walmart has been lowering the prices on all of the Panasonic HD televisions. I don't know if this has to do with better models coming out, or that they are dropping the Panasonic brand of HD televisions.

The Panasonic HD televisions have an amazing picture. Just about every store I've seen a Panasonic HD television in, thier model has had the sharpest picture quality and the color is on top as well.

I've been looking towards getting the 30" widescreen model and Walmart has had it marked down to under $650 recently; but today I went to one store and they had 2 of the televisions selling for $450. The 32" models (4:3 aspect) were selling at the same price as well. Here's a picture of the 30" widescreen model.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0003798810775_215X215.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	5.5 KB 
ID:	15755  

2. Quote Originally Posted by ChaoofNee
    Walmart's making their own consumer electronics brand.
    Guess it's almost out, then.
    Yeah! It's called Lilo and the picture quality is beyond shitty.

It appears that they are making room for more of the Phillips HD units. They're okay, but hardly of the quality provided by Panasonic.

3. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet
    Yeah! It's called Lilo and the picture quality is beyond shitty.
    Awesome! They'll make a mint, anyway, because they're sold at WalMart.
    I fucking hate WalMart.

4. are those just monitors or do they have a hd tuner built in?

5. 4x3 HDTV is a waste, and so is getting the built in tuner (unless you really would rather watch HDTV over the air).
    Check out my blog: ExHardcoreGamer.com

6. well I sure as fuck don't feel like paying hundreds of dollars a month for a digital cable box. Also, the only HD channels I'd really want are the network channels, and theoretically those should all be OTA/QAM descrambled.

7. Quote Originally Posted by TobalRox
    4x3 HDTV is a waste, and so is getting the built in tuner (unless you really would rather watch HDTV over the air).
    Er, what's the problem with 4:3?
    Last edited by MarkRyan; 04 Jun 2005 at 06:43 PM.

8. Quote Originally Posted by cka
    well I sure as fuck don't feel like paying hundreds of dollars a month for a digital cable box. Also, the only HD channels I'd really want are the network channels, and theoretically those should all be OTA/QAM descrambled.
    well, I already have digital cable, so technically I'm not paying any more money. The rental for the box is $9.95/month. Like I said, if you'd rather just the over the air stuff, then yes, the built in is better... me personally, I didn't get one because I had no need.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRyan
    Er, what's the problem with 4x3?
    The fact that it's not 16x9... If all HD programming (and games) are in 16x9, why would you bother with a 4x3 set? You'll have to deal with the letterboxing, when you could be having it fill your screen, and you can't do widescreen games. It just seems to me like a half a step forward instead of the full step everyone should be taking.
    Check out my blog: ExHardcoreGamer.com

9. Quote Originally Posted by TobalRox
    The fact that it's not 16x9... If all HD programming (and games) are in 16x9, why would you bother with a 4x3 set? You'll have to deal with the letterboxing, when you could be having it fill your screen, and you can't do widescreen games. It just seems to me like a half a step forward instead of the full step everyone should be taking.
    I'm pretty sure most 4:3 HDTVs have a 16:9 mode (my TV has 16:9 mode and it's not even HD). My 32" TV is still 29" in 16:9 mode, which is pretty close to the widescreen equivalent (30"). What's a 30" widescreen's display size in 4:3 mode? Probably about 25"?

I also much prefer to have black bars on top and bottom, rather than on the sides (and most of the big projection widescreens I've seen have ugly gray bars on the sides--what's up with that?).