Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Apple to Drop IBM?

1. Quote Originally Posted by shidoshi
    Of course, people have to remember that comparing a Mac to a "build it yourself" PC is a bulls**t comparison. Macs should be compared to things like pre-built machines from Dell, HP, Compaq, etc. - and when you do that, there isn't much of the "Mac tax" that people are convinced is there.
    iBooks and Powerbooks have always been competitve, and there's no comparable PC alternative to the iMac or eMac.
    Even Powermacs compare well with most prebuilt workstations.

It's Apple's build-to-order options that really gouge their customers.

2. In case anyone is still following this, the developer version of Tiger has been hacked to run on any x86 PC that supports SSE2 and SSE3 extensions, mostly newer intel chips.

So much for hardware exclusivity.

3. I got a brand new nice P4 Dell sitting right here ready and waiting for just that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    The games out for Mac are the same ones all the kids are playing these days. I hate that "Mac has no good games," crap.
    You're kidding, right? Show me Half-Life 2, Doom 3, Quake IV, FEAR, etc. on a Mac.

5. Yeah Mike, what the funk?
    Well that's like, your opinion, man.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi
    You're kidding, right? Show me Half-Life 2, Doom 3, Quake IV, FEAR, etc. on a Mac.
    On x86 Mac OS X? Not a chance in hell yet.

On PPC Mac OS X? Doom 3 is out for Mac, and I believe Quake 4 will be coming out for it as well. id Software is really good about porting their releases to Windows, Mac, and Linux.

I'll grant HL2 and possibly FEAR, though.
    For a dark man shall come unto the House of God, and the darkness shall be upon him, yea, even within him.

-- From Noctropolis: Night Visions

http://www.darquecathedral.org/images/drkcathedral.jpe http://www.mortalkombatonline.com/content/mko.jpe

7. Can one of the mods maybe change the creator of this thread or split from kedawa's post on into a new one? I know it has the date I started it and all, but I don't want someone from the company thinking I started this one after I started working for them just because someone decided to bump it.

Thanks.

8. Once x86 macs hit the market, Cedega for OS X won't be far behind.
    On that day I will rejoice.

I guess I should have started a new thread afterall.
    I don't want Mike getting fired for some inferred association with the eyepatch-and-hook set.

9. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa
    I don't want Mike getting fired for some inferred association with the eyepatch-and-hook set.
    It's not a piracy thing, it's just that I made the thread before I was employed and at that time it was a rumor. I don't think it's something to worry about. At least, I hope not.