Thread: 802.11a (5Ghz) ....anyone have any experience with wireless "a"?

1. Question 802.11a (5Ghz) ....anyone have any experience with wireless "a"?

i know you guys are gonna kill me, but here goes lol!

i'm interested in buy this...

http://d-link.com/products/?sec=0&pid=304

i know wireless "a" is a new standard which should become the next standard in wireless internet standard. now since it operats on 5Mgz, does that mean it can penetrate walls(concrete in my case) better? i also know that 5Ghz has a shorter range than "b" and "g"

i'm thinking of getting it to extend the range of my wireless internet at home without the use of a repeater(which i already have, but i get low signals in some areas)

2. Shouldn't this be in circuit board?

Wireless A runs on the 5GHz bandwidth which allows for better bps, but cannot penetrate walls as easily. That's why this is the only way they can really sell A - with B/G 2.4GHz access points. When they say compatible, they mean that you can switch the mode from A to B/G, thereby switching the bandwidth down to 2.4. The A is not going to work with B/G.

However, if it allows WDS with the A, you could buy up to four of those and then some cards for your machines that are A-compatible and have a really great 108Mbps network in a small area.

3. i was always under the impression that 5Ghz has better penetration that 2.4!

anywas, i have a Vaio laptop with built in b/g wireless. now, is it true that if i bought a b/g wireless PCMCIA card for my laptop i would get better signal? as opposed to the built in one which is getting A decent signal?
    Last edited by marwan; 05 Jun 2005 at 02:55 PM.