Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Kristy versus the Zombie Army

1. Dear Kidnemo: Your guest spot for Questionable Content is the best comic that strip has ever seen. You win!

2. I must say that I have been a fan of your work for a while. I really get a kick out of Maverick.

I like how he's just this Happy-go-lucky octopus tentacle that doesn't always seem sure of what he is saying, and is certainly oblivious to the cracks of his friends.

I also like when Maverick says something incredibly voilent or evil while his face is beaming a smile.

The Goth Tamagotchi is a nice touch too.

What methods do you use to make your comic look like a 1995 Lucasarts adventure game? And for that matter, was Green Tentacle (Maniac Mansion one and two) any influence to your character design?

And Speaking of Lucasarts, is there EVER any gas for the Chainsaw!?

(aside from fan made AGS games, but the joke don't work that way!)
    Only you can stop sig pollution.

3. SUPER-TURBO-SUPER-REPLY GO!

Quote Originally Posted by Giga Power
    Holy shit. I just now stumbled across both of your comics and I have to say that I fucking love them. Kristy versus the Zombie Army a little more...but Comet7 is great too.

I want a wallpaper of the zombie army. Badly.

Keep up the great work. I now have them bookmarked.
    Thanks much Giga! I'm working on a couple of wallpapers know, one from the newest page of zombie army that I think is gonna be TOTALLY radical.

Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog
    Dear Kidnemo: Your guest spot for Questionable Content is the best comic that strip has ever seen. You win!
    I think that strip has some of my favorite art I've done in quite a while. I was really surprised that his legions of fans didn't lynch me for being so "omg thats nothing like the REAL QC", instead the response was really great.

Quote Originally Posted by Segatron314
    What methods do you use to make your comic look like a 1995 Lucasarts adventure game? And for that matter, was Green Tentacle (Maniac Mansion one and two) any influence to your character design?

And Speaking of Lucasarts, is there EVER any gas for the Chainsaw!?

(aside from fan made AGS games, but the joke don't work that way!)
    Thanks for the kind words Segatron314

I've been working on a tutorial showing how I do the art in comet 7 for ages but I never get around to finishing it. In a nutshell, everything is done by hand, pixel-by-pixel in photoshop. You select a one pixel non anti-aliased tool (pencil in photoshop), zoom in really close and put down each pixel one by one.

There really aren't any shortcuts or easy ways out for doing good looking sprite work sadly.

To be honest I've played maybe five minutes of the Maniac Mansion series. It's always been something on my list of games to play, but I just never find the time. Mav was inspired by the games tentacle at all, though when I look at how slick their tentacle looks... I kinda wish I would've stolen a bit of their look! haha

Viva la chainsaw!

4. *Laughs* Perhaps this is the best excuse, then, to play the games themselves.

You can actually play the original Maniac Mansion on a PC in one of the rooms of the sequel. I always liked how the second one chose to flesh out the roles of the tentacles, of all the characters from the first one.

If my chainsaw rant seemed odd, Maniac Mansion has a Chainsaw youcan find on a knife rack [!] in the kitchen [double !]. Try to use it on anything, but the character you have in play says that it's out of gas. This gag was, I think used again in another 16 color lucasarts game Zak McKracken. It may have been in the First Indiana Jones game as well, and possibly Sam and Max: Freelance Police.

Hearing how you draw them by hand reminds me of how I used to do things on my first computer. To think that I've never gone back to try that some more, even though I have learned a ton of new things since I was a teenager. I should "persuade" Photoshop to think like my old Drawing programs once in a while.

5. (update) You have been buzy mister nemo, Really Buzy (particularly liked the feral quicksand)

6. For KVtZA, I think I'd like to see Kristie drawn a bit more like the rest of the piece. She's sort-of in-between the simplified shapes of the zombies, but not exactly realistically (by even manga standards) either.

I love all the digital effects though in coloring the thing...especially the "fwoosh" that trails Kristie as she flies through the air.

7. Her arms are humungous in the new one. Like... way longer than the length of her body. I like the work on the whole though.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

8. I was looking through webcomics other people were telling me about, and saw a big ol' side advertisement for Kristy Vs. The Zombie Army on somethingpositive.net (which is apparently a big web comic the guy got paid by his fans to match his yearly salary [25k or something?] so he could quit his job and just make comics. What the heck?). I thought that was pretty neat, since I've been reading and enjoying this since you first posted it.