Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tokyo's plans to create a Sky City

1. I'm not surprised...Japan is like New York...there is absolutely no room there to live...too crowded.

Is it gonna be a sky city like the one I saw on an old episode of Star Trek?
    http://i43.tinypic.com/2h2hzcx.gif
    Fight Like A Robot!

2. NEO-TOKYO IS PRIMED TO EXPLODE!

3. The Japanese live in fucking earthquake central. All it will take is one 7.0 to bring the whole damn thing crashing down like a deck of cards. No thanks.

You wanna solve urban crowding problems. Encourage people to have less kids.

Though from recent reports I've read this is already happening. So many young Japanese are choosing not to start families that the birth rate is actually negative and the elderly will make up 35% of the population by 2050.

4. I saw this show when it aired several months ago. It's actually really impressive in its planning/engineering stages. As far as earthquakes go, it wouldn't necessarily be more dangerous than a regular building because of the counter sway weight(s) proportional to the building's size and the fact that instead of being built onto a slab, it would be on slats that provide for movement. Also, the way the building's 'corners' are made, it's streamlined so that it doesn't take direct wind, instead the wind is separated and forced around the sides.

Still, we're talking typhoon and earthquake central and no matter how well engineered buildings are, they can't withstand anything and everything, and the fact that a place like this would hold so many people, a catastrophe could be just around the corner always.

Not to mention, the amount of displacement the construction of a building like this would cause in Tokyo... Ugh... Just the thought of the number of people who would lose their homes or businesses while this was built... It's a huge undertaking.

I'd like to see these built tho. What I'd really like to see is some multi-billionaire here in the states buy some farmland in the plains and interconnect three of these, call it Metropolis and call it a day. Instant city of the future. I think it would attract thousands of people from around the world to go live there and would be cool as hell.

5. What I'd really like to see is some multi-billionaire here in the states buy some farmland in the plains and interconnect three of these, call it Metropolis and call it a day.
    ...And then he could destroy it all trying to take down Superman.

6. Quote Originally Posted by IronPlant
    Screw that. Yes, these will be made, but it is only a matter of time before the government becomes way to controlling and annoying and someone gets the bright idea to crash one of these into Old New York City.
    Wasn't that the plot for Metal Gear Solid 2?

7. fucking awesome
    Commentaries and Opinions on Metal

8. Quote Originally Posted by Master of 7s
    You wanna solve urban crowding problems. Encourage people to have less kids.
    And more suicide circles.

9. True, True,but the upscale suicide lifer (excuse the pun) in the sky city and his mate could plunge from the "Green Room" to the Stadium with ease.

Hell, they could string up suicide nets and catch the little buggers on the way down for entertainment purposes, move over NBA.

10. If they fucked up the Big Dig as much as they did, surely the problems caused by a construction of such a massive project like this would be monumental.