Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coded Arms: official I guess

1. Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    Diablo 2's levels were all randomly generated and they were pretty good.

I also played Diablo 1 through like 5 times.
    The Diablo games are also a completely different genre. From everything I've seen of this, it looks like a randomly-generated crate level with different textures for the entire game.

2. Quote Originally Posted by sethsez
    The Diablo games are also a completely different genre. From everything I've seen of this, it looks like a randomly-generated crate level with different textures for the entire game.
    I always was a fan of randomly generated levels. It keeps you on your toes, and adds a bit of replay to the game, especially if the levels have elements that are dramatically different with each generation. However, in games like this, it could be a hinderance. There should make it with static levels, and have random generation as a bonus mode instead of the main mode

3. Oof. I read my brother's new EGM, Coded Arms got really bad scores. Besides Crispin (who gave it 2.5 IIRC), i forget who the other two reviewers were. In any case, it got IIRC 3.5, 2.5 and a 6.0. It got hammered for its control scheme and repetitive nature (as a guy intrigued by the random levels 'tho, i will reserve judgment later) said multiplayer is almost unbearable because of the wonky aiming (but if u can at least play it with goldeneye type controls maybe there is some hope). It was also compared visually to a PS1 game.

The guy who gave it a 6 said "I was having a blast until I hit a wall" which I assume means he got tired of the repetitive-ness.

It was also said there are only a few bosses in between a lot of hallway/close-up matches.

Looks like I will be spending my $40 on either Kirby DS or Ac!d instead. Wish I could rent PSP games. Nobody here does.
    Last edited by 1CCOSA; 04 Jul 2005 at 10:23 PM.

4. Fuck EGM. They gave Killer 7 crap scores. They also had a port and a rehash game of the month.

Don't forget the most biased E3 report I have ever seen.

I played Coded Arms today and it was okay. No where near as good as kirby or Ac!d, but good nonetheless.

5. ^^^

True EGM's scores are sometimes a little wonky, plus Shoe's snarky little editorial's get on my nerves lately. I raised an eyebrow when he said this month "Sony showed off footage that may or may not be actual in game footage." Try not, Shoe. This after saying he thought the 360 games "looked like they were pulled out of an anus." 360's stuff may not be amazing (yet) but at least they weren't just Tekken 2001 style tech demos.

EDIT: Another beef I had with the issue was they had Jennifer Tsao come in and trash Bomberman DS right after saying "This being my first time with a Bomberman game, I was NOT impressed." What self respecting gamer gives a rip what a jaded first timer to such a classic series thinks (although I will submit that the TG-16 and SNES BMan games still have the best single player adventures)? It's all about the multiplayer anyways and plus, not having played BMan is at this point like never having played Pac man.

FWIW I think Shane's reviews are usually excellently written. Seems like I always really identify with his writing and overall approach.

Anyways, thanks avatar. I am a little more optimistic about the game now. Was never expecting it to be amazing or a Metroid/Halo killer like I said before, I just wanna kill some digital bugs during my work shift.
    Last edited by 1CCOSA; 05 Jul 2005 at 01:54 AM.

6. Quote Originally Posted by avatar
    Fuck EGM. They gave Killer 7 crap scores. They also had a port and a rehash game of the month.
    so did gamepro, and so did i. fuck that on rails art deco crap. if i want a good capcom game i'll turn on RE4, thanks.
    XBL Gamertag = XMrWhitefolksX

7. Quote Originally Posted by Dylan1CC
    Bummer. I think this one is shaping up nicely regardless of the fact the controls may take awhile to get used to. I want me some Metroid Prime ape'in, randomly generated bug blastin' in the office, darn it. IGN still says June 28 but EB listing now says July 19.

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/255628.asp
    Actually, it ships on 7/06/05, not the 19th

I dont care what ratings it gets. It looks sweet and if I have to get use to the controls, than so be it. Nothing is perfect. Also, I ordered this game for $29.99, so I'm not complaining.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Dylan1CC
    The guy who gave it a 6 said "I was having a blast until I hit a wall" which I assume means he got tired of the repetitive-ness.
    Don't you love EGM's reviews that are a paragraph long and can't explain anything?
    Wish I could rent PSP games. Nobody here does.
    Technically I can from Blockbuster but they're always checked out which is annoying.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWhitefolks
    so did gamepro, and so did i.
    Good thing GamePro's backing you up because otherwise no one would take your opinion seriously.

9. Why are people still taking EGM's reviews seriously anymore?

Anyway I feel kinda sorry for PSP owners picking up dreck like this just to have anything to play.
    "Chuy, you're going to have a magical life. Because no matter where you go, it's always going to be better than Tucson."

10. Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus
    Don't you love EGM's reviews that are a paragraph long and can't explain anything?
    Yeah, or sound a bit contradictory as in the case of the guy who gave it a 6.

Good thing GamePro's backing you up because otherwise no one would take your opinion seriously.
    Yeah, to each their own but using Gamepro for backup is weak.
    Last edited by 1CCOSA; 05 Jul 2005 at 09:35 AM.