Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Coded Arms: official I guess

1. I know PSM mag isn't looked on too well but their review was much more concisely written than EGM's. I will just retype it here from my co-workers copy, lame jokes 'n all:

Coded Arms:

Hollywood makes hacking sexy, but the real-life activity involves cold pizza, social isolation, and endless screens of prgramming text. Konami's first person shooter Coded Arms augments this banal reality by uploading lots of guns, explosions and homicidal programs into the data stream. Nice!

Coded Arms is a combination FPS and dungeon hack, as you'll infiltrate and escape a variety of vaguely generic, but very pleasantly rendered cyber-worlds to shoot, maim, and shoot some more. The action is fairly straightforward, a necessity due to a less-than-perfect control scheme. Practice and an optional auto-targeting system help, and there are several layouts and adjustable elements, but there's still only one analog stick. Thus, Coded Arms feels a lot clunkier than your average PC FPS.

Even so, the nice visuals and RPG-like weapon power-up system kept us venturing into the cyberdepths more than we expected. Proper use of the upgrades is key, as we found out through several heart-pounding near-death experiences.

Three modes of ad hoc multiplayer add another wronkle, but the klutzy controls and slow pace make it a secondary attraction, and true online play would be better. This leaves Coded Arms as a solid, fairly charming time waster to enjoy (as) we wait for more substantial PSP releases to download into stores. -Benjamin Turner.

+ Fun use of the cyber theme and solid gameplay make for a nice little shooter

- PC fanatics may sniff at the simplicity and the controls can be a bit unwieldy

Score: 7

Screenshot caption: "There are some nice visual touches, like the smoke and they way crates de-res after exploding."

Screenshot caption: "Cyberflames are like regular flames, but are easier to e-mail to prospective burn victims."

2. Yeah, except it's really not worth full price, at all.

The controls are too clunky, and with more than 2 people in multiplayer it's just not easy to kill people.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Chux
    Yeah, except it's really not worth full price, at all.

The controls are too clunky, and with more than 2 people in multiplayer it's just not easy to kill people.
    Well, I'm not getting it for multiplayer, so no worries there.

EDIT: Also, I bought Yoshi TnG which is definitely not worth full price but still a very fun game even though it is insanely repetitive. I guess my wallet is a glutton for punishment. Bah.
    Last edited by 1CCOSA; 05 Jul 2005 at 11:21 AM.

4. Ok, just get ready for room, clear, room, clear, room, clear, key drops next level, room, clear, room, clear, room, clear next level, boss, etc.

5. ^^^

Gotcha.

6. It's a $30 game that should be 20 next month.

7. EB and all other stores are selling it for $40

I think I'm going to try it out first...I'm going to try it next time I'm in EB (My friend is the manager so I will open one up to play for a bit).

9. Last week I returned PSP Battlefront 2 (figured I'll just get the PS2 rev later anyways) and got Coded Arms with my refund money. Have been wanting to try this game for a long time. And so far, I am really enjoying it. It sort of reminds me of old school Descent (shooting 'bots in endless corridors) except mixed with a FPS.

Control type A works fine enough (better than Battlefront PSP's aiming), the random levels keep things fresh, are long and open ended but with just the right length and are perfect for quick blast-throughs here in the office. The visuals and effects are very nicely detailed and surreal, especially the simulated alien ruins level. Very crisp, beautiful Matrix-ey graphics with no fog or noticeable slowdown.

My only gripes are it needs a slightly better lock on mechanic and needs more levels. I've played all three stages as of tonight. However I haven't fought any bosses yet, and still quite a few weapons yet to unlock, so no complaints so far. It's also a great title if you want to show off your PSP to someone.

edit: Forgot to add, re-entering the stages after leveling up causes the enemies to evolve, ie: some of the grunts start carrying deflector shields, ect. Even the the environments themselves and their appearance start to "evolve." ex: I just re-entered the base level and a space that previously just had glowing blue light was replaced with a destructible, rotating holo-field with a grenade power up in it. Kinda neat.

Not a Halo or Metroid by any means obviously, but if you want a solid little portable FPS, like open ended gameplay and enjoy tearing bugs and 'bots a new one with an assault rifle or lazer, then check this out.
    Last edited by 1CCOSA; 12 Nov 2005 at 11:02 PM.