Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gatchaman

1. Gatchaman

Just saw this in Best Buy yesterday...it's the old 70's Battle of the Planets show, now uncut (all death and sexual content was originally removed, and the violence was toned down), without the annoying cute robot sidekick they added for the U.S. release, with the original Japanese and an all-new English dub, and DVD covers painted by Alex Ross. And all for only $10 a volume.

Fuck yeah.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

Is this a new release of just the uncut show? The old Battle of the Planets DVD's also had the uncut Japanese versions on them. That's some good stuff.

3. Yeah, it's just the uncut show. But these DVDs have new English dubs, which I think the Battle of the Planets DVD's didn't have. There's some extras, too.

Since I never bought the BotP discs, I might as well grab these instead. I'm really interested to see how the show compares to the neutered versions I watched growing up.

Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    Yeah, it's just the uncut show. But these DVDs have new English dubs, which I think the Battle of the Planets DVD's didn't have. There's some extras, too.

Since I never bought the BotP discs, I might as well grab these instead. I'm really interested to see how the show compares to the neutered versions I watched growing up.
    Oh, okay. So it's really more likely G-Force then? That's cool. I'm heading over to Best Buy in a few minutes, I'll give it a look and see what's up. It's a LOT different that the spayed and neutered American Kids Show. It's too bad you don't have the BOTP discs to do direct comparisons. It's really funny some of the changes made. Like in one of the first couple of episodes these two scientists are kidnapped and in the US version the dialogue at the end is all sunny and cheerful "...So glad we were able to save the scientists!" something-or-other, while in the Japanese version, the Scientists die, which you probably wonder about in the US version anyway because when G-Force "saves" them, you don't actually see the scientists swimming away from the undersea lair with the G-Force guys before the thing blows up.

5. I remember the basics from what I was a kid...like how the bad guy soldiers had guns, but never actually shot them (well, I remember a guy shooting in ONE episode, but of course he missed).

I'll just be happy that the kid on the team won't have some bizarre speech problem now.

Picked up the first two volumes; six eps per disc is nice for $10!

7. Scourge, you should have picked this up instead:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....uct&id=1430171

for 23 bucks its the 1st 3 volumes. If you havent opened them yet take em back.

Quote Originally Posted by D_N_G
    Scourge, you should have picked this up instead:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....uct&id=1430171

for 23 bucks its the 1st 3 volumes. If you havent opened them yet take em back.
    Actually it's not the first 3 volumes. It's the first 2 volumes and a 3rd disc of special features I'm alright without. The single disc releases have some cool features that are enough tho if I'd seen that on the shelf I probably would have picked it up; they didn't have any.
    Last edited by Scourge; 16 Jun 2005 at 03:21 PM.

9. EDIT: Sorry I think I was looking at an older box set
    Last edited by D_N_G; 16 Jun 2005 at 04:17 PM.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Scourge
    Picked up the first two volumes; six eps per disc is nice for $10!
    Are the dubs any good? Or are you the type to turn your nose up at such a thing?