Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Technic Beat gets US Release

1. News Technic Beat gets US Release

Reported by GamerFeed-

Already a hit in Japan, the music/rythm title is poised to make its American debut...

Video Game publisher Mastiff today announced Technic Beat, an innovative and addictive music game for the PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system that allows players to actually create, alter and dance on screen to their own music. Developed by Arika and featuring tunes from some of Namco's most popular games, Technic Beat is expected to release in late summer 2004.

In Technic Beat, players listen to music represented in the game by radiating concentric rings of sound. Picking up the beat, they dance into the middle of the rings and try to 'catch' the music. If successful, they achieve the power to manipulate the sound rings and create entirely new music. As players progress and gain skill they are rewarded with spectacular visual displays, bonuses, and power ups.

"Technic Beat is family entertainment with something for music and dance lovers, Namco fans, and anyone else looking for something different." says Bill Swartz, Head Woof at Mastiff LLC.

"Technic Beat was an extremely popular game in Japan, both in the arcades and on the PS2, and we are thrilled to see it released in the US" said Producer Masaharu Ogata of Arika, the game's Japanese developer.

Technic Beat features include:

# Arcade mode: use the Tension Meter to measure your performance. Push it up and you're on to the next round!

# Free mode: choose the songs you want to play. Save and replay your performances, and control the camera and music.

# Challenge mode: choose the difficulty level and let the game pick your test!

# Sudden death: Can you play all the songs in order without a single mistake?

# Supports one or two players playing cooperatively or competitively.
    This caught me completely off guard considering how freaking old this game is (Early 2002 I think). I remember really getting into this game back when it was first released based on the music alone. Most of the songs in the game were done by the electronic group Sampling Masters (Or as Bemani players know them, the people who do the fucked up songs). It's pretty, it's simple and it's fun, so this getting a US release is great since I haven't played it since it came out.

The only thing that can stop this from being great is if they change the music. I could care less if they add stuff in, but if they even attempt to Americanize this game (IE: Replace everything with Billboard Top 100) than it will be ruined. This is simply NOT a game that can be Americanized. To put it another way, imagine if they replaced the music in Rez to N*Sync. Yeah, not the same game anymore is it?

Screenshots of the game can be seen here-
    http://media.ps2.ign.com/media/686/6...html?fromint=1

Don't expect them to make any sense though
    Play Guitar Hero //

2. if this works out mastiff is on a roll.
    All is well.

3. Wow, I've never even heard of this one. Mastiff's alright. I'll be picking it up, especially if it gets "budget" status....but that's not a requirement.

4. I saw a video of this ages ago and wondered what the hell it was. Looked neat, at least.

Looking forward to it.

5. Oh yeah... that game. I remember seeing it in arcades over there, but never played it. Cool.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

6. Mastiff rocks.

7. It looks bizarre, color me excited if it gets a budget price release.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

Quote Originally Posted by kabuki
    Mastiff rocks.
    Apparently so. Whoda thunk?

9. Go Mastiff! Can I still make fun of the PS1 Easter Bunny game?

James

10. According to Gamestop it hits this week. With the cheap-o shipping they'll most likely spring for I expect it to be early next week insteady, but I'll be keeping an eye open just in case. EBGames doesn't even have a listing for it.

James